ALT swap question (b16a SIRII)

greenlx777

BigRed is Dead
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for those of you that have swaped a b16a in their 96-00 civic, what did you work out with the alternator
did you re-use your own alternator (from the d16) and extend the bracket in the back to accept it, or did you use the alternator that comes with the b16a and fix the wires

Problem 1: Meens replacing the upper alt bracket or extending the current one. If youve done this i've been trying to look for a pic of what it should look like. Also if there is a bracket for another trim that will work? and which would it be. and which atl belt did you use the old one from your d16 or the one for the b16

Problem 2: The wiring for the alternator is another issue, currently the harnes for the d16 is a 3 wire plug, but the b16 alt is a 4 wire plug. I want to know what you did to resolve the problem.

so basically
1- if you used the b16 alt with the 4 wire plug how did the wiring work out
2 - if you kept the d16 alt how did you fix the bracket

thx

SuperSize

japanese muscle
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you need to just go out and buy an alternator for a 00 Si.. it fits perfectly and there is no wires issues connects right up, and get 00 Si belt from Honda, it's like 10$

Last edited:

greenlx777

BigRed is Dead
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
uh yeah, considering budget and time issues thats not possible, so i need to figure out the two options from above

CiVIcCFAsST

godzilla
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
plus a b16a isnt legal in ur car. how are you goin to work that out

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
CiVIcCFAsST said:
plus a b16a isnt legal in ur car. how are you goin to work that out
it depends on what year it is from in japan. Its not an american engine, so the inpection shop will just see it as a b16 and nothing more. Honda in japan liked to use the same engine codes from model to model, unlike they did in america.

MugenShox

Banned
SuperSize said:
you need to just go out and buy an alternator for a 00 Si.. it fits perfectly and there is no wires issues connects right up, and get 00 Si belt from Honda, it's like 10$

couldnt have said it better myself

NoBoost

138,000 Mi. EM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
waitiaminute, wil inspection actually pop your hood and check the block of the motor? is nothing like that in jersey. just as long as you pass emissions..

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't think there should be a problem. I don't check anything around me. I haven't even had to do emissions testing. I would save some money and get the alternator that was meant for it.

greenlx777

BigRed is Dead
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wtf people, im in canada we dont give a rats ass about inspections, please back to topic

SuperSize

japanese muscle
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well what i did for the first few months before i bought the right alternator is, if you tighten the bottom mounting bolt REAL tight the alt. wont move so it should work, and i use the belt that came with the motor. but you have to remember that it gives out a diff. voltage then the b16a one, so i wouldn't do it for long.

CiVIcCFAsST

godzilla
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i understand the back to topic thing, but yeah you are going to switch alternators with b16a2, that will probably work, but wont you have to convert it to obd 2, in order for the b16a2 ecu to work?, im just curious

SuperSize

japanese muscle
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no beacuse the stock harness is obd2. so the b16a2 alternator will hook right up. the jdm alt. wont because they are diff connections, the ecu doesn't really matter when it comes to the alternator

greenlx777

BigRed is Dead
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SuperSize said:
well what i did for the first few months before i bought the right alternator is, if you tighten the bottom mounting bolt REAL tight the alt. wont move so it should work, and i use the belt that came with the motor. but you have to remember that it gives out a diff. voltage then the b16a one, so i wouldn't do it for long.
isnt the voltage the same (14.4 Volts) with either alternator? if you ran with your d alt and werent throwing any codes then ill i'll have to do is fix the upper bracket for it
ive got the 0bd2a -> 0bd1 harness and ill be using chipped p06

SuperSize

japanese muscle
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mmm maybe they are the same voltage i was told they were diff but who knows, but No i didn't throw anycodes you will be fine

greenlx777

BigRed is Dead
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is it true that the canadian and american alternators (plugs) are different for 96-00 lx ?
i found a guy on H-T that says the canadian OBD2a are 3 plug where as the american obd2a are 4 plug
if someone in the states can just go outside 2 seconds and check that for me id apriciate it

i must know

greenlx777

BigRed is Dead
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
alright i got the alt from a 99 SIR but now the belt i had from the jdm alt wont fit, i need a 3 rib belt and the one i have is a 4, i can just take my belt to napa or a parts store and ask them for a 3 rib in the same length right???

SuperSize

japanese muscle
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah or just got to honda, the belts are better quality and you can get the right size just buy telling them the year of the motor