alternator belt

tkangaroo11305

5+ Year Member
i know this is such a beginner question
i need to replace my alt belt but where is the alternator belt tensioner located at in my '96 civic
pics will help thx.

Solid_Snake

Te mato con mi VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You need to remove the power steering and a/c belt in order to get to the alternator one...

step 1, remove splash shield:

step 2 remove power steering belt: keep in mind you DO NOT need to completely remove the pump from the bracket.

step 3, remove a/c belt

and finally the alternator belt

tkangaroo11305

5+ Year Member
oh btw i don't have power steering
does the step still apply or is there a better and quicker way to get to the alt belt?

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think its just that one bolt thats on the alt bracket. its bronze. loosen. pull tight and tighten that bolt back on?

t_mac

5+ Year Member
Hi I'm trying to replace the alternator belt on my car too. I've decided since I'm down there I'm going to replace all 3 belts anyways I got the P/S belt off no problem now I'm working at getting the A/C belt off. My question is do I need to completely free up the P/S pump to access the pulley breakhead(?) for the A/C I thought maybe I could access the puley olt for the A/C from the top but it's very hard to access. Do I need to take the splashguard off and reach up to loosen the pulley bolt on the A/C?? I don't really like the idea of taking off the splash guard because I already losened it and it doesnt seem like its going to back on there nicely... maybe I'll have to buy new hardware what do you think?

Solid_Snake

Te mato con mi VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think you have to remove the splash guard anyway in order to get to the lower alternator bolt too.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You dont HAVE to remove the lower splash guard. It just makes the job easier. You dont have to take the p/s pump completely off to get to the a/c pulley bolt, but it helps ALOT. Its not that hard to take the P/S pump off, its just a pain b/c of the header and A/C compressor being in the way. Also, if your replacing the A/C belt, you will have to unbolt and remove the a/c compressor and the torque mount off the engine to get the new belt on. Not hard, just takes time. Just be sure to support the A/C compressor so you dont bend the lines since they will still be attached.

sdanville

5+ Year Member
Alternator Belt Removal 1996 Honda Civic DX with Air Conditioning

Surfing the web and looking at YOUTUBE , I found little on this subject.
This was the best source..Thank you.

I swapped out the Alternator belt last night. It was noisy, it was cracked, and stretched out.

For $17.99 at Advanced auto I am good to go another 170,000 miles.

I would like to say I did not have to remove any covers. Just two bolts takes the Power Steering pump out of the way. I have big hands and it was tight.

Then had to jack up the car and loosen the Alternator lower bolt from there. I also put the belt around the pully from underneath. Not as bad a job as I had thought. Bet the Shop would charge a hundred bucks
because the power steering and compressor belts have to be moved.

---------------------------------------------------------------

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm glad you searched and found this :thumbs up.

Now If only more people could follow in your foot steps instead of posting a new thread and asking how to do things :lol:.