alternator not charging

Dpstanton

i have a 2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe - alternator is not charging. I've replaced the alternator with a new one and checked the fuses under hood. any recommendations?

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
What do you mean the alternator is not charging? Let's go through a check list.

Does your car start?
If so, start your car and keep it running. Disconnect the positive lead to the battery (you will not get shocked, just don't touch the negative lead), and let the car continue to run. If after several minutes the car is still running, the alternator should be fine. If the car dies, then the alternator is bad.

Define in detail what exactly is going on with your car.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^dont do this. battery if a buffer in your electrical system. this could cause much worse problems

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your alternator charges the battery, but if you're certain that your battery is fine then simply go to a local parts store such as AutoZone, Advanced, O'reily's, etc, and have them check the alternator. Most do it for free.

robbinbadams

Alternator does not charge

I have an 05 civic. I just replaced the alternator and it does not charge. The battery is at 12V while the engine is running I checked the Volts at the post on the alternator and it is 12V. Any ideas why both old and new alternator don't charge but pass test at auto parts store?

gugiey

Registered VIP
I have an 05 civic. I just replaced the alternator and it does not charge. The battery is at 12V while the engine is running I checked the Volts at the post on the alternator and it is 12V. Any ideas why both old and new alternator don't charge but pass test at auto parts store?