anyone have an adj. cam gear on thier sohc

ask_611

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did you notice a difference? (if so what other mods are you running)

The Civic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've got a bit of bad news for ya...

An adjustable cam gear won't get you ANY power at all. All it is is a tuning tool. It could possibly get you power if you advance the timing a little bit, but if you put it in & set it up the same as stock your power won't change.

I've got one on my EX but I use it to retard the timing a little bit for my SC. I can't say that I've noticed any horsepower gains with it but I'm sure that setting the timing back a little bit with it has helped my engine run at 10psi for 2 years without blowing up. =)

Till L8er,
Ken

The Civic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've got a dry setup with either a 40 50 or 60 shot jet. I haven't used it since I put the blower on since the SC has caused a ton of heat related problems. I did use it for about a year before the blower went on though. Mine is the NOS brand kit 05122. It works really well but if you're looking to run any more than a 60 shot I'd really suggest to look into a wet kit. Each type has got it's advantages & disadvantages.

dry - cheap, easy to install, easy to use, doesn't distribute evenly between the cylinders, doesn't add enough fuel to support a large "shot"

wet - costs just a little more, a little tougher to install, easy to use, distributes nitrous more evenly, adds planty of fuel to keep things running smooth, more reliable than a dry kit

direct port - best reliability & most efficient kit, costs over twice as much as the other kits, considerably tougher to install, distributes fuel and nitrous perfectly, can add enough fuel to run lots of nitrous, can be dangerous since a lot of people get too confident with these kits & run too much juice.

Whatever way you decide to go I would suggest to do a lot of homework on it first. There's lots of options & lots of things that you should do to keep things running reliably. The more you know about what you're doing the less of a chance you'll blow up your motor.

Yeah I know that was more info than you asked for but I thought it might be helpful =)

Till L8er,
Ken

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "The Civic"

I've got a bit of bad news for ya...

An adjustable cam gear won't get you ANY power at all. All it is is a tuning tool. It could possibly get you power if you advance the timing a little bit, but if you put it in & set it up the same as stock your power won't change.
Ken
Why would you buy an adjustable cam gear and not adjust the timing? That just wouldn't make any sense. Of course it won't make any more power if you don't adjust cam timing.

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i know you can adjust the timing on the dohc using the distributor....... that won't work for the sohc folk, too....? it should............

silverctr

Whaddaya lookin' at?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I suppose I can tell you guys there is some difference between cam timing and ignition timing. :wink:

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no, i realize that.... but wouldn't advancing/retarding the cam timing on an sohc motor have the same effect as adjusting the ignition timing......? either way you are adjusting when things happen in relation to each other........ in one instance, you adjust when the spark fires in relation to the opening/closing of the valves, and in the other you adjust the opening and closing of the valves in relation to when the spark fires...........

on a dohc cam timing is of some value since you can adjust the cams separately......... but on the sohc everything is run on one stick..........

The Civic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Team4r. Remember that you're also adjusting either the cam or ignition timing in relation to the rotating assembly of the motor as well. When you think about it adjusting the ignition timing & adjusting the cam timing are doing different things as well. Not worlds different but differnt none the less.

Turbozinc. You're right. The only reason that I said that it wouldn't make a differene is because the single cam Civic motors really don't benefit much at all from advanceing the timing. If you adjust them for more power with the stock cams it'll only get you a couple horsepower tops & add some problems at the same time. With aftermarket cams adjusting the timing on the SOHC will help you make the most of it but the stock cam really doesn't need much help & can't make much use of it anyways :?

Till L8er,
Ken

silverctr

Whaddaya lookin' at?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Team4r. Remember that you're also adjusting either the cam or ignition timing in relation to the rotating assembly of the motor as well. When you think about it adjusting the ignition timing & adjusting the cam timing are doing different things as well. Not worlds different but differnt none the less.

Turbozinc. You're right. The only reason that I said that it wouldn't make a differene is because the single cam Civic motors really don't benefit much at all from advanceing the timing. If you adjust them for more power with the stock cams it'll only get you a couple horsepower tops & add some problems at the same time. With aftermarket cams adjusting the timing on the SOHC will help you make the most of it but the stock cam really doesn't need much help & can't make much use of it anyways :?

Till L8er,
Ken
What problems are added when you advance the ignition timing? I advanced the ignition timing in my 98 DX with stock motor and have never had a problem except a mild bump up in torque. ;)

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

OK that makes sense. I just wouldn't understand why anyone would buy adjustable cam gears and not adjust the cam timing, but i understand what you meant.

Project Zero

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yep thats all its used for it might help depending on wut you got but its just a wast of money unless you have a turbo or youre running a heavily built motor.

weaponrc

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I HAVE AN AEM CAM GEAR ON MY 2000 EX. I HAVE THE TIMING ADVANCED 2 DEGREES AND GOT 2-3 HP. I RAN 15.8 BEFORE THE ADDITION OF MY CAM GEAR AND FUEL PRESSURE REG. AFTER I PUT THEM ON AND GOT THEM PROPERLY TUNED I RAN A 15.5 SO IT DID HAVE SOME BENEFITS.