APC Air Breathers

CiviKid

Post Whoralicious
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what are they for and where do they go? I like how thee package just says air breather and doesnt say what it does or where it goes...thannks

knockoff

you can call me ABE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
uhh.. im pretty sure they go on the little nub off the valve cover... they allow the engine to breathe, and catch some blow by too.... right :what:

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They relieve pressure in the crankcase. Of course this is done with the pcv valve and vacuum from the intake and the air breathers are not needed.
The only time they are needed is if you are pushing boost and pressurizing the crank case.
Also, the breathers allow unmetered air into the engine, which isn't a good thing.

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so whats the advantage of having the pressurized air shoot into an aftermarket intake?

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "Rice4Brains"

so whats the advantage of having the pressurized air shoot into an aftermarket intake?
More air in the combustion chamber :mrgreen:
The thing with forced induction is that some of the pressurized air will leak past the piston rings and pressurize the crankcase. This isn't really a good thing. Normally the pcv valve will use the vacuum created by the engine to relieve any pressure, but when you are pushing boost there is no more vacuum so pcv system can also push compressed air into the crankcase instead of relieving it.
Hope that made sense. Getting up at 6:00am and sitting through 2 hours of materials science makes me a little tired and worn out. :(