Are Cold-air intake is safe for your new Car ???? =======

coach2fast

5+ Year Member
Do you guy Feel the AEM cold-air intake is safe. I just got it on friday but now I
have this big fear of water. The guy told me I would have to drive it into a lake
to hurt it. I live in So.Cal. I was thinking of buying one of those Injen Hydro Shieldcool air
covers to feel safer what do you guys think?

Do you guys feel the AEM cold-air intake is just as good for the motor as the
stock get up?

Thanks for all the info and input.

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a AEM CAI and no problems so far. I've ran through puddles, etc. just dont hit any big huge puddles that will submerge your filter and your good. which hopefully you dont hit. lol.

rupesh52

5+ Year Member
i dont see any harm in using it as long as u keep it clean and stay away from huge puddles as mentioned above =)

pSI civic

Drives a '93 SI...
5+ Year Member
I'd be more worried about voiding my warranty if I were you. Water shouldnt hurt unless you hit a few inchs of standing water.

Slick_99

RIP 99'
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Um, By-pass valve I think its called, not positive on the name but it provides some protection before you hydrolock the engine.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i've heard of more people f**king up their motors with the aem bipass valve than iv heard of people f**king up their motors with the cai. i lived in washington state and i never had any problems. just dont drive through a big ass puddle. but if you have a lowered car, you wouldnt do that anyway...get my drift?

SuperSize

japanese muscle
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well the by-pass valve goes on the intake pipe. that way if water get's sucked up it fall's out of the intake before it get into the manifold...How would it f-up there motors more then the intake it's self

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i've heard of them falling apart, and pieces going into the intake manifold

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
coach2fast said:
Do you guy Feel the AEM cold-air intake is safe. I just got it on friday but now I
have this big fear of water. The guy told me I would have to drive it into a lake
to hurt it. I live in So.Cal. I was thinking of buying one of those Injen Hydro Shieldcool air
covers to feel safer what do you guys think?

Do you guys feel the AEM cold-air intake is just as good for the motor as the
stock get up?

Thanks for all the info and input.
you live in southern cali..... dont drive through swimming pools and you wont have anything to worry about

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have had one for 4 years and never a problem. Even in severe rain. My rule of thumb is if the car in front you or disappers in a puddle, don't follow it.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just get the air bypass valve, they work. I saw a demonstration where they put the filter completely underwater with an air bypass valve and the car was fine.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
cgpEJ6 said:
Just get the air bypass valve, they work. I saw a demonstration where they put the filter completely underwater with an air bypass valve and the car was fine.
The only thing is that they are made of foam which will eventually dry rot. They will fall apart after some time . A friend of mine with a 99 Si had one fly into his throttle body and make the throttle stick. I wouldn't get one. It is just a marketing ploy. The performance difference between a short ram and a cold air is minimal anyways so just don't waste your money on a cold air because hydro-lock is a b***h. A guy I know locked up his h22 civic twice because of hydrolock and he finally went with a short ram. He puts down 227 whp N/A and that is with a short ram.