Automatic D16Y8 Sluggish Gear Kickdown

1HGEJ8235

I’ve been having this problem for a while now, whenever I drive the car from a full stop the transmission goes into the proper gear but when I slow down to 20 from say 50 and try to speed up again the transmission stays in 3rd gear I believe, even with throttle mid way the only way to get it to downshift is by stepping on the pedal 90% of the way in and it hesitates for a moment then goes all the way down into first. The only time this doesn’t happen is when the car is already moving past 30 and I try to pass someone, the transmission smoothly lowers the gear to give me that extra power.

I’m not sure if this is due to slack in the throttle cable or a faulty TPS

Last edited:

FWDKILLER

Any engine codes? If so sell the car and get a geo storm they are fun and better cars.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

alex98

When was the last time you changed your tranny fluid? Dirty fluid and/or low levels can have weird effects on auto trannies.

1HGEJ8235

Any engine codes? If so sell the car and get a geo storm they are fun and better cars.

My car has OBD1 so I haven’t tried using an OBD2 adaptor to get all the codes but even using the paper clip method doesn’t throw any transmission CEL codes.

1HGEJ8235

When was the last time you changed your tranny fluid? Dirty fluid and/or low levels can have weird effects on auto trannies.
The previous owner didn’t keep a list of maintenance records but I’m guessing the oil has only been changed once, the car has about 84k miles. The oil looks a bit brownish but not black and it’s a bit higher than the guide line in the oil measurer. Perhaps I’m gonna have to change it soon and I’m also gonna try to tighten up the throttle cable.

FWDKILLER

The previous owner didn’t keep a list of maintenance records but I’m guessing the oil has only been changed once, the car has about 84k miles. The oil looks a bit brownish but not black and it’s a bit higher than the guide line in the oil measurer. Perhaps I’m gonna have to change it soon and I’m also gonna try to tighten up the throttle cable.
You can use my car fax and it'll show you service records.