Automatic horsepower gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honda4ever

Banned
hello clubcivic

i currently own an automatic it has a d16a vtec motor and all ive really done to it was a cold air intake and full catback exhaust system. i really dont see any other engine modifications i can do. i obviously cannot turbo an auto i know you guys are going to say save up for a manual swap. thats what im looking into but i want to mod it as of now so any tips? thanks

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
There's not much left you can do. Header after market intake manifold, bigger throttle body or a cam. All are pointless if you plan boosting or swapping

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would focus on other performance areas like suspension rather than dumping money into an automatic d-series but there are still plenty of things you can do with what you have. You could get a b-series throttle body and port match your intake manifold as a cheap and easy one.

Honda4ever

Banned
There's not much left you can do. Header after market intake manifold, bigger throttle body or a cam. All are pointless if you plan boosting or swapping

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2
already have header and might look forward to intake manifold mine is from a z6 but ill see.

Honda4ever

Banned
I would focus on other performance areas like suspension rather than dumping money into an automatic d-series but there are still plenty of things you can do with what you have. You could get a b-series throttle body and port match your intake manifold as a cheap and easy one.
yeah well really wanting the guts then the looks lol and your right i do need to work on my suspension because right now I have heated springs. not good!

Ej8Kid

Too Much Traction
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You could sell your car and buy a manual one. Converting from AT to MT is a pain.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
lol @ this tread

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Crazy idea but why not build the automatic tranny? I wonder about the b series transmissions as well surely there is one that can withstand a little boost.

Honda4ever

Banned
lol @ this tread
i know right its pretty bad just seeing what i can do with my auto and really the cheapest car my parents could afford. and now i have a job and i dont seem to want to sell my baby at all i dont know but yeah i could sell it for a stick. if i do that it has to be a teggy so ill stick around here with my auto for now

Trekk

Registered VIP
Back in the day when turbo d16 forums were around many if the auto guys were running a greddy turbo kit.

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was just going to ask... why CANT you turbo an AT? Yes, you can do it. Will it last? probably not long

You can always get a cam, but that wont do much on a stock motor with no tuning.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Small turbo low boost but in a ls automatic b series transmission should be good for little under 200. Maintenance is definitly required. No neutral slamming. It wont be super quick but beats your stock motor with any add ons i/h/e

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sell it and start over.

/thread

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The way I see it, why waste your money and mod something that you're not going to be happy with in the future? You'll want more. You'll get relentless s**t for it. And you'll be itching for a manual. So just set that money aside and either save for a manual swap or set it aside and sell the auto so you can get something better or have play money.

That's why the suspension is a good point if you're planning on doing a tranny swap. It's something that will benefit the car manual or auto. Just think about it.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's why the suspension is a good point if you're planning on doing a tranny swap. It's something that will benefit the car manual or auto. Just think about it.
It's also something that you can likely transfer to another car if you're planning on staying with something similar.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
He could keep the turbo kit as well. Yalls point on getting rid of the car just because he may want to move on to manual or something is still pointless. He can have the car turboed and automatic. Automatics for hondas of this gen are easier and cheaper than manuals. I say turbo it correctly. Then worry about what you want from there. If you want to go beyond there you can only push so much on the stock block anyways. Build the block go manual. Or do a complete swap

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
He could keep the turbo kit as well. Yalls point on getting rid of the car just because he may want to move on to manual or something is still pointless. He can have the car turboed and automatic. Automatics for hondas of this gen are easier and cheaper than manuals. I say turbo it correctly. Then worry about what you want from there. If you want to go beyond there you can only push so much on the stock block anyways. Build the block go manual. Or do a complete swap
He could keep the turbo kit but not the manifold if he went to a DOHC motor. I don't mean to suggest he get rid of the car, just giving a reason to put money into suspension rather than the current motor. Why would you say that an automatic is easier than a manual for this generation?

For those asking about why you can't turbo an automatic, you can turbo it but you can't tune an OBD-2 automatic ECU so it's really not a great idea.

*edit, I was assuming since it's a 6th gen that it's OBD-2 but maybe I'm wrong seeing as it's a D16a, what is it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.