Autox Classing.

Hunan Beef

5+ Year Member
I am not a complete newcomer to autocrossing. I have done a bit of events, but I barely ever come out unless a group of friends and I decide to pick a weekend we all go out together.

I plan on attending an autox event soon. By no means do I care about what I need in order to be competitive in whichever class, just coming out to have some fun. I am a little confused as to which class I belong in (SCCA rules). I haven't attended an autox event in a while and the since then mods have been added or changed.

I frequently attend HPDEs and track days, so I can expect my mods to put me in some sort of "faster" class. I may change a few things....

1997 Civic DX hatchback

-Stock D16y7 with stock trans (may change up to EX trans)
-aftermarket intake
-aftermarket 4-2-1 header (eliminates my cat)
-aftermarket catback
-AC removed
-aftermarket dual core (half size) radiator

Suspension/Brakes/Wheels

-Coilovers
-EX front control arms + stock EX sway bar
-Aftermarket Front and Rear camber kits
-Aftermarket (Function7) rear LCAs
-ASR rear subframe brace + ASR 24mm sway bar + spherical endlinks
-Front knuckles/brakes from a 99-00 Si
-Rear disc brake conversion
-SS braided lines
-15x7 rims
-205/50/15 Z1 Dunlop Star Specs

I assume any pad goes

Interior:

-Airbags removed
-Aftermarket steering wheel (quick release)
-4 point roll bar (may remove)
-Buddy Club fixed seats + harnesses
-rear seats and rear interior pieces (including plastics) removed
-Sound deadening still present

SMF?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Probably EP (E-Prepared).

Reasons being, for STC you need a cat, OE type radiator, only allowed to change one(1) control arm on the front or rear(IE: you cannot have both aftermarket upper and lower control arms, only one or the other), OE drum brakes in the rear, stock size brakes, mostly stock interior... Even in FSP you cannot do a lot of the things you have done. SMF you need the side stock side panels inside the car. You can remove the rear seats but not much anything else.

Hunan Beef

5+ Year Member
Probably EP (E-Prepared).

Reasons being, for STC you need a cat, OE type radiator, only allowed to change one(1) control arm on the front or rear(IE: you cannot have both aftermarket upper and lower control arms, only one or the other), OE drum brakes in the rear, stock size brakes, mostly stock interior... Even in FSP you cannot do a lot of the things you have done. SMF you need the side stock side panels inside the car. You can remove the rear seats but not much anything else.
Thanks for the quick reply, man!

So, if I stuck just the rear interior plastics back in... that would put me in SMF? hmmmm.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah I believe so. Considering you're running street tires and a d16, you could just run SMF as the car sits and I'm sure no body would care. So long as you don't beat anyone on r-comps that has a motorswap/boost no body will complain lol.

Hunan Beef

5+ Year Member
Thanks again for the reply. Alejandro, right? I may see you sometime within the next few months

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yup that's me, I got by AJ though. You coming up for an event with DC region?

Hunan Beef

5+ Year Member
Most likely.

I've seen you killing it out there at either a CDC or a BMW event before. My car is red and looks broken lol, you've probably seen me before. My buddies and I are trying to figure out what event to go to that doesn't fall on a same weekend as a track event (NASA, Track Daze, ect).

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Cool man, hope to see you out this year. I probably won't be doing any CDC events this season, maybe one at Bowie. But I'm on the BMW committee so I will be at all of those.