awkward noises from transmission.

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
for a while now ive had a sort for churnning noises when i start my car in the morning. in nutral it sounds as if something went bad like the throw out bearing?

recently ive gotten a loud ticking noise. in nuetral the ticking is loud but as i drive it goes away, churnning noise is still there.

throw out bearing bad? i do plan on replacing throw out bearing clutch and flywheel. what could this be before i start jumping the gun on this?

DoubleJ

If the sound goes away when you push the clutch in then its probably the throw out bearing. If its when the clutch is engaged then its case bearings.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If the sound goes away when you push the clutch in then its probably the throw out bearing. If its when the clutch is engaged then its case bearings.
On opposite days!

:oops:

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
since ive got a few inputs the same, throw out bearing its what ill be replacing. what would you ball park this replacement at? with replacement of clutch and flywheel and throw out bearing?

gugiey

Registered VIP
since ive got a few inputs the same, throw out bearing its what ill be replacing. what would you ball park this replacement at? with replacement of clutch and flywheel and throw out bearing?
installed In a shop probly 400 in labor and 300 in parts

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks for the info and the price range was about right. the shop here pann auto priced me at 350, stage one clutch resurface flywheel and replace throw out.
thanks for the input much appreciated.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If its when the clutch is engaged then its case bearings.
Yes, throw out bearing will only have a load on it when the clutch pedal is depressed.

If it's making noise with the clutch pedal up, its most likely not the throw out bearing.

Output shaft bearing would be my guess.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yes, throw out bearing will only have a load on it when the clutch pedal is depressed.

If it's making noise with the clutch pedal up, its most likely not the throw out bearing.

Output shaft bearing would be my guess.
This. One bearing I read that goes south a lot that can cause a whining is input shaft bearing. You have to take the transmission apart to fix that though.

OP - if you're going to get an aftermarket clutch, get a lightened flywheel. I bought my Exedy OE clutch & Fidanza lightened flywheel as a combo on eBay for $250 and it came with a new throwout bearing. I absolutely love it.

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nice! i shall check ebay i didnt want anything fancy i was suggested a stage one because it may last longer, no a big deal if the flywheel were to be resurfaced but if i can get a combo with all i minas well.

as for the noise it only happens in nuetral no noises in gear. so it has lead me to believe it is only the throw out.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
This. One bearing I read that goes south a lot that can cause a whining is input shaft bearing. You have to take the transmission apart to fix that though.

OP - if you're going to get an aftermarket clutch, get a lightened flywheel. I bought my Exedy OE clutch & Fidanza lightened flywheel as a combo on eBay for $250 and it came with a new throwout bearing. I absolutely love it.
It's not the input shaft since the OP said that it goes away when he drives.

Input shaft would be there whether or not the car is moving.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Fooking Brits and their inability to use the internet.