B and K series questions

kyral

5+ Year Member
If i chose to build a b16 over a b18 would i be able to get the b16 to rev higher more reliably than a b18?

Is there anyway to build a k series tranmission to hold more power (i hear theyre quite weak)

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
umm what?

guys run stock k series 6spds in the 500whp range all the time

krooked32

reliability varies with how you do your build and what quality parts you buy. you can cheap out and blow s**t up or spend your money on quality parts and tuning.

^^ about the k tranny. ive seen / heard people running big numbers on those trans DD and they race it.

kyral

5+ Year Member
i wonder where i get my misinformation on them from

im more interested in my first question since a B series motor is what i plan on building.
since the b16 has a shorter stroke shouldnt it be able to rev higher dollar for dollar than a b18?

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes u can rev a stock b16 block to 9k prms no problem but the b18c will make more power. i dont think u should rev that high if ur not gonna be making power in high rpms.

krooked32

that was the other thing i forgot to add. unless youre making power in high rpm's like that then you really will be missing out.. but again, it all goes back to how you build and what you spend your money on.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
high rpm's only become useful in circuit racing where the track and transmission setup can make use of the extra rev's for corner entry or exit. Otherwise revving sky high is a waste without power being made.

kyral

5+ Year Member
whats going to make the motor make power at high rpms? (8.5k+) i assumed the b16 was able to make power up there but if it cant what needs to be done?
will a lightweight fly wheel help?
am i going to need things like a larger throttle body a port and polish and a balanced engine block?
(im gonna assume camshafts would be the most important)

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
main things that help are camshafts, intake manifold, throttle body, and header. Port and polish is more of a supporting mod that extracts the most power available and smooths out airflow making it more efficient. A balanced engine increases efficiency and longevity as well.