b series exhaust

Johns b20 sedan

So this might be a stupid question but I have a 1997 civic sedan with a high comp. B20b swap in it and B16 trans, since it's still rocking a full stock exhaust will the stock b20b manifold bolt up to the stock sedan downpipe/exhaust? The car is of course a y7 car with a stock exhaust from a 1999 civic sedan y7 meaning it has the underside cat now just in case that matters.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You'll need a new cat, but it should bolt up otherwise. The y7 manifold has the cat on it. So by removing the manifold, you're also removing the cat.

Johns b20 sedan

I thought only California emissions had the cat on the manifold cause the exhaust I pulled off of the 99 y7 has the cat underneath instead of the manifold and it looks all original, so if that's the case it should be good right?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
D16Y7 exhaust manifold from factory has catalytic convertor attached to it like in this pic:

If that's not what you have, at some point your manifold/exhaust was replaced already and you should be fine.

Johns b20 sedan

Sweet just making sure cause I'm ordering an apexi ws2 setup and the private label ramhorn v2 header and downpipe for it just need to know if I can get by for the moment

MotorMo

Respected
The WS2 is sweet- recently installed it with my B18C swap. Love it. Its only 2.25 inch tho... In my experiance, nothing is a direct bolt on expect the need of a exhaust shop for some alignment and welding.
PS- The WS2 is designed for the original engine, so it will bolt on if you kept the original set up. So every thing isn't going to bolt on. If it does, let me know. Good luck!

Johns b20 sedan

I expected some welding but I think I found a 2.5" ws2 setup I'll have to double check before I buy but yeah I'm thinking of ordering two bride viso3 seats for it but that's 2k so it might put my build on hold.

MotorMo

Respected
I think that looks like custom fab work. If your gonna get a cage, have professional make one. One perhaps that makes them for 9 second drag cars. An improper cage can strengthen the chassis, but if a collision would happen and the weld break, things can get nasty. Nothing is better than a cage tho.