B series swap in 7th gen civic?

flat4whore

5+ Year Member
All this talk about putting 6k into a d17 to beat an Evo is ridiculous. Half as much into the 4G63 will rape the civic hands down. No one in their right mind is going to drop that much money into the motor and go after stock cars. The gearing is also horrible, 400 horsepower and only having enough gearing to reach 140 is retarded. And yes Snake I am familiar with the destroked blue AEM civic, but I don't see the relevence to this thread considering the block was a b16 and not a d16. The car was also built for one reason, to go insanely fast straight. Also the claim for a d17 to have 374 at the wheels on the "stock block", what do you mean by stock block? No engine work? Any alterations to the pistons, heads, rods, etc. makes it far from stock. Also is the car daily driven?

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
stock block=stock sleeves.

plenty of turbo D16z6 vitara setups running 400hp daily driven.

search civicforums.com for the 374 hp civic.

a 7th gen with 400hp might not beat a evo.
but a older modle(crx, 4th gen, 5th gen) could.

its called power-to-wight ratio

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my friend has a crx with a b20vtec, rapes evos and sti's all day. 340whp ftw!

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats all my goal is with my CRX.
be able to beat evos and sti's.
once i do that, ill stop adding parts.
300whp it wont be hard to beat them. in a 2000lb car

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All this talk about putting 6k into a d17 to beat an Evo is ridiculous. Half as much into the 4G63 will rape the civic hands down. No one in their right mind is going to drop that much money into the motor and go after stock cars. The gearing is also horrible, 400 horsepower and only having enough gearing to reach 140 is retarded. And yes Snake I am familiar with the destroked blue AEM civic, but I don't see the relevence to this thread considering the block was a b16 and not a d16. The car was also built for one reason, to go insanely fast straight. Also the claim for a d17 to have 374 at the wheels on the "stock block", what do you mean by stock block? No engine work? Any alterations to the pistons, heads, rods, etc. makes it far from stock. Also is the car daily driven?
the relavence is putting a b series in a 7th gen aint happenin.

and exactly what green said. stock block= stock sleeves

the 374 WHP D17 has crower rods wiseco pistons a crower cam and a custom intake manifold. stock crank and stock sleeves.

flat4whore

5+ Year Member
That must be an insane little car. What are his quarter times.

my friend has a crx with a b20vtec, rapes evos and sti's all day. 340whp ftw!
Other than that I just want to say thanks guys for the help and good luck with your builds.

flat4whore

5+ Year Member
So me and Mike (the owner of the civic) and I think we're going to try to Vitara pistons setup. Just curious to what rods you guys suggest. Right now we're looking at Eagle. But before we even build the block we're going to hunt down a turbo setup. Whats turbo is recommended to run on the stock block (untouched)? And at what psi are you guys running safely?

Last edited:

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So me and Mike (the owner of the civic) and I think we're going to try to Vitara pistons setup. Just curious to what rods you guys suggest. Right now we're looking at Eagle. But before we even build the block we're going to hunt down a turbo setup. Whats turbo is recommended to run on the stock block (untouched)? And at what psi are you guys running safely?

this is a D17 right?

if so Eagle rods arent an option and niether are Vitaras.

the only way Eagle rods are an option is if you swap a D16Y8 crankshaft and oil pump in. as well as Eagle rods for the D16Y8.

vitaras on the other hand are a 9.0:1 compression ratio piston for a D16Y8 or whatever your putting them in.

in a D17 they will drop to about 8 flat. as long as your using a D16 parts mentioned above.

i would suggest if your going with Eagle rods. to buy a set of pistons that are of stock replacement to the D16Y8. but make sure they are reliable. dont put real stockers in if your shooting for the 300 whp goal or higher. this will bring your compression up to maybe 9.0:1 but i dont know. you would have to plug some numbers in and do some math.

in all reality you could run Vitaras and get away with it but dont expect any power in the low end. and expect later spool times.

as for the other question. you need to decide on a turbo before you decide on a PSI to run. to make 400 hp a GT35R is prolly what your gonna need. to make it with that turbo prolly 18-22 psi will do the job. the block itself can proly handle 20. but i wouldnt push it too much. id get it sleeved just to be safe.

now...use this info as you wish. i myself have not made it that high yet with my D17. i will. but it will take me a while. i plan on running the same setup i just mentioned.

oh and one more thing. you will need one hell of a management setup to even think about those numbers.. also a custom intake manifold is in order or you could run a Y8 manifold. there is a how to for that but you need to track that down on your own. with the Y8 manifold you will get a better selection for fuel injectors too. words of advice. a tried and failed method here...RC injectors or any other aftermarket injector will not fit the D17 fuel rail. also the D17 is a returnless fuel system. this means you will need to run a return line and an aftermarket FPR. obviously a bigger fuel pump.

keep all this in mind that it wont be cheap. dont leave the small s**t out thinking you dont need it. the stock intake manifold is made of plastic. there are reports that it will blow apart at anything higher than 13PSI. some never made it past 10PSI and it took a s**t. i run 12 and it is still holding up. once again...use this information as you wish. you dont hafve to listen to me since i am not at those numbers. but that is my plan to get there. and i will get there.

flat4whore

5+ Year Member
Your not the only that has told me that the stock plastic intake manifold is a piece of s**t. I've heard from countless people to replace it already. I understand the build and what turbo's to use to achieve what power. I have an 02 wrx w/ full sti swap, jdm 6 speed, 800cc injectors, 20g etc...all done myself. I just don't know what the stock internals for the civic can take. We're planning on boosting the car before lthe internals are done and I just wanted to know a safe setup. There really aren't to many people that are sure. I've heard 8-10 pounds out of a TD04 would be fine. Thanks for all the help snake.