B-series VS H-series

[SpoonSports]b18c5

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im planning to buy a 92-95 Civic HB.Im wondering what engine should I swap in, a b18c5 or an h22a.I want to burn all those f**kin mustangs and V8s. :twisted: Or is there another b-series that will be a
v8 killer.

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you dont need an h22 to burn a stang. just do the right things to a d. personally, i wouldnt suggest an h22 if you plan on using your car everyday.

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "Rice4Brains"

you dont need an h22 to burn a stang. just do the right things to a d. personally, i wouldnt suggest an h22 if you plan on using your car everyday.
yea, what he said.....when you buy your car, save a hella lotta money, drop a corvette v8 in it, gut your car, convert it to a rearwheel drive, and put some fat drag tires on the back, then hook every computer operated mechanizm you can get your hands on that says "hook me up to go faster" (or whatever) and you'll beat everything

mister_yellow

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^ i think u need to take some chill pills buddy

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hahah, yeah you do. the reason i wouldnt put an h22...is that you would either have to take out your power steering, or do a damn good job at relocating it...thats what i hear anyways

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "mister_yellow"

how many horses is a b16c5 anyways?
no such thing, however the b18c5 has 190 stock

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "[SpoonSports

b18c5"]I want to burn all those f**kin mustangs and V8s. :twisted: .
Haha, it'll never happen. Civics can't beat mustangs. :wink:

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i beg to differ... i've seen both happen

just depends on each's setups

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hahah. yeah, it all matters whats under the hood. but true, i dont think a stock b16 can beat a stock mustang v8

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
H22's are a heavy motor for a Hatchback. If you are building a drag car they are ideal though. You can make a B18 kill mustangs easily and you could start out with a B18b and for the money it would cost you to get a B18C5 you could have a very nice turbo B18B that would dust any stock GT's!

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
h22 is only like 70lbs more than a b18, so its not too heavy for a hatchback. if you set up the suspension correctly, with stiffer springs and a rear anti roll bar, handling wont be compromised. and the h22 has something n b18 has- good torque. stock h22a's in stock eg's can hit mid-high 13's with the right driver. the torque is available over the whole rpm range, so around town theres a lot more pull than a b. for a daily driver i cant think of a better motor.

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
70 pounds is acually quite a bit of weight for a civic. Remember our cars are light weight and we want to keep them that way at all costs. Yes the B18 is a heavier motor than the D16Y8...but this sacrifice is worth it. Also H22's are more expesive than most B series. B18b's make plenty of torque for daily driving, and have a good compression ratio for turbos. I am a B18 and a B20 junky I guess.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
www.hmotorsonline.com lists a b16a sirII swap at 2350 170hp, 113tq , a b18b at 2200 145hp 127 tq, a b18c 3200 180hp 126tq and h22a 2200 200hp 161tq. so its the same cost for the motor as a b18b, you get 60 more hp and 30 more lb/ft of torque. i totally understand your point of view, im just puttin out a counter example. im not at all a fan of the bastardized motors- ls and crvtec, and h22 does what they do better, for less money. the h22 also has more swept cubic inches, which means that it makes more power per mod than a b series. i just think that too many people just dismiss it thats all.

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "SeanJohn1802"

mister_yellow said:
how many horses is a b16c5 anyways?
no such thing, however the b18c5 has 190 stock
i may be wrong...but i thought the b16c5 was actually in the usdm integra type r?

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oops...my bad. i was wrong...you were right. b18c5 in the usdm integra-r

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It is in the USDM Type R...the B18C6/7 is the JDM type R, and the B18C3 is in the AWD Turbo australian Integra.

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also H22 are more expensive, and H22's are more limited that B series. Also with the added weight of an H22 you have to prep the chassis more, and get new motor mounts.

black_dragon_i

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Glad to see someone else knows about the rare B series motors from Australia. Good work. I am interested in where you got the facts of the c6/7 being in the JDM DC2 though.

Ok here is the deal, I was made aware of this aregument and it is a good one, let me see if i can open some doors though. You have to think of it like this, you can get B series swaps for next to nothing if you know who to talk to (wreckes from street races/junkyards, s**t i got 2 sitting here for sale for 1000-1200 full swap warantee and insured shipped), list prices are pretty close to what you have posted here and on paper the H22 is hands down the best motor in the Honda world for a swap. That is untill you factor in things that you do not get told. H22 does not swap into any civic chasis without mounting, if you have a eg you can swap in the B and it will bolt up, Mounts for putting the B series in a civic and a H series are drastically differant. B series blocks are like legos you can bolt any part from any other B series motor onto it if done right (the reason you hear so many Ls and CRVTEC horror stories are because people are doing them incompetently, when done right these motors are outstanding). So after you get the H22 and then the motor mounts you are in the high 2 or low 3, add on the suspension parts you listed so you can handle the motor being in your car you are at low to mid 3 depending on if you did it half ass. Ok so you start building the H, parts for it are WAY more than for a B series motor so you are paying more right there (you can not find these parts as easily as the B series based on the fact that in retrospect hardly anyone tunes the H) so what about this monster on a older chasis, you will need to reinforce which will cost you MORE money. So let's say you had the H22a (which one cuz one makes 190 and the other 200 and look the same and trust me motor suppliers are good for swapping valve covers and lying about motor origin and gen) or you got the Type S or SiR motor which make from 200-220 hp and you went to build it N/A or you were crazy enough to turbo a motor that had C/R from 10.0-11.0 you would still have to (well should) drop the C/R in the motor to allow higher boost levels. When you look at the swap to make it dependable on a daily driven car you have spent WAY more than a B series vtec swap or a hybrid with or without turbo.

Your argument is based upon paper I think, there is nothing wrong with this, it means you love the sport and you take your time to learn by reading. But you have to know that when people write things about the tuning world it is usually based upon things others have written which left things ou for lack of real world experience or to keep the info short (how many of you are already getting tired of reading this becaus of its length). Everyone thinks tuning is about getting a car then bolting in a powerful motor from a heavier and/or more expensive car, dealing with the low displacement and Honda's lack of torque by bolting in a turbo and everything is fine after that This is wrong, even with a B series swap it is not as simple as getting a motor from a Teg and putting it in your car, there are precautions that you need to take and other steps, when those are not followed you get things like everyone cursing nitrous oxide and hybrid motors. In my area we have some nice cars, two are important to this argument, one is a H22 turbo the other is a CRVTEC hybrid, both are in EG chasis cars, both are built motors, both are competition cars not privately owned, the B20VTEC runs consecutive low 10.2 the H22 turbo consecutive 10.9 runs. H22 has been rebuilt multiple times, i would say about 3 times as many as the CRVTEC the price of the CRVTEC is much lower than the H swaped car, I have been in the garages with both of them which is how i got this real world experience. There is a reason why almost every famous Honda drag car is B series powered, the H is a paper winner, the B is a real world performer plain and simple.