B16 missfire uphill only

Mish_Ek4

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums not sure how everything works
But I desperately need help diagnosing

I have a stock b16, just intake, 70mil TB, dual core radiator and exhaust

Recently the car started stuttering/misfiring whenever I go up steep hills and in low revs. At first I didnt think much of it until 1 morning it wouldn't start or did start and barely idled before dying. I've replaced spark plugs, cleaned and serviced the injectors and put in a 255 fuel pump and it runs but as soon as I do an incline the same problem starts and have to keep it in higher revs until I get to the top or come down which by then it will still stutter slightly and rarely but gos away completely shortly after that if i continue driving on straight or non steep incline roads.

What could be the problem any help is greatly appreciated thank you

I've also replaced fuel filter earlier this year so that is also still new

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No Check Engine light comes on?

What did the plugs looks like when you removed them?
Why replace the fuel pump?

It sounds like you're just throwing money and parts at it without really testing and diagnosing the issue.

Mish_Ek4

It sounds like you're just throwing money and parts at it without really testing and diagnosing the issue.
No check engine no and did fuel pump because still had original pump which we figured could be dying also I may want more power later so did that, plugs were all normal burn light grey brown except for 4th which had started burning slightly white thus we assumed that hole is leaning and dying so that's why I did the injector clean and service also tested all injector wires and all get the expected 12v going to the injector

Do you have any solutions?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's odd there is no CEL.
Check your timing as well as test the VTEC oil control solenoid, measure the ohms.

Mish_Ek4

It's odd there is no CEL.
Check your timing as well as test the VTEC oil control solenoid, measure the ohms.
Is there anything specific I should look for in terms of the ohms, still learning the wiring and electronics of the car and could it be distributor coil and or rotor because now after getting it running for a couple days since it didn't start, after about 3 days of having it running and then parking as soon as the first missfire/stutter happens. Today it now takes a couple more swings when starting compared before which was 2 swings and fire nows it's about 4 then fire and theres nothing wrong with the starter motor it just seems like taking a bit longer to spark. This is very confusing and I really dont get why the car is doing this

At first because the 1 spark plug looked slightly lean, I changed spark plugs and got injectors cleaned and tested. The car started, idled and ran fine but as soon as I hit an incline it stuttered under load going up. This made me think everything else seems fine now must be the old pump dying out and starving car going up so I put that pump and then tested again and again perfect until uphill, low revs, under load, came back put another stock FPR and havent really been up incline yet but driving for 2 days it has had 1 or 2 stutters once the car is warm. That's another clue I guess but this is also something that only happens once the car is warm

Last edited: