b16 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinobi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wussup all,

i just bought a 92 civic hatch cx (5 speed), it's the first civic i've ever had so don't know much about this car execpt that it has low hp. i need some help that's why i'm posting this. how easy or hard is it to throw in a b16 engine. and if i do that would i need a new transmission, motor mounts, etc. or will it drop right in? :?:

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
tranny, mounts, ecu... other shiot..

add to this people.. :?

shinobi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanx for the info man, you know how much the items i have to buy will cost? (not including the engine and the labor)

and one more thing, wut is more reliable, a b16 or a ls v-tec

nightkids1

Old School Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
b16

x0supermonkey0x

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yo.... im new to this
but i have a 1995 civic VX with 5 spoke low profile image rims on cooper cobra racing tires...... ive got lots of little upgrades on it like chrome shifter and gauges and sparco seats..... its white but im gonna get it painted silver.... :D

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "shinobi"

thanx for the info man, you know how much the items i have to buy will cost? (not including the engine and the labor)

and one more thing, wut is more reliable, a b16 or a ls v-tec
well i priced a b16a2 engine thru this dude who's member name is like drock on here. he's like a sales rep er somethin. the engine, ecu, and tranny from him is 2850 shipped.

sorry, couldn't tell u bout either engine bro. but if i had to guess, i'd say b16, just because...idk.

oh and that reminds me!.. there is a wrecked integra LS down the road from my house in an impound yard type place with wreckers and s**t. just showed up there the other day, i REALLY need to go ask about it. all it has is driver's side damage, can't be anything wrong with the engine.. :D

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
www.hmotorsonline.com b16a2 complete swap $2350

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
170Hp 113Trq 10.4 Compression (JDM)
160Hp 111Trq 10.2 Compression (USDM)

Myogi_Nightkid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'd go with a B18C1 and a B16 tranny. plus add a JRSC. good daily driver setup!:thumbs up:

i would suggest that you do all the research first on what set up and what type of driving you will be doing. wether it be for drag, autocross, road race, or aggressive street, each category have potential set ups that will work for you. don't just jump on the engine swap bandwagon without first hand knowledge of what you are getting into. though it will give you added HP, there are other things you have to consider like your local laws, emissions, what good is it gonna give it to you and most of all the dependability and longevity of your set up.

anyway, for more info on the B16 motor, click on the following links provided by JDMC:

Engine Tuning Guide to B16A:
http://www.jdmcivic.com/jtuned/0303/tuningb16a.php

Naturally Aspirated Modification to the B16A
http://www.jdmcivic.com/jtuned/0303/nab16a.php

Piston Engine Theory
http://www.jdmcivic.com/jtuned/0303/pistonengine.php

Modifications for Longevity
http://www.jdmcivic.com/jtuned/0303/b16modslong.php[/url]

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm with Myogi_Nightkid....also there are alot more swaps out there than a B16a or a B18C1. LS VTEC swaps can be very reliable...just make sure whoever you get to do it...does it right. A B16A2 head needs more than just to be bolted on. Little things like Oil squirters need to be changed and stuff. An LS VTEC is a good motor to go with, you get the low end torque of a B18b with the added high end of a VTEC motor. The B16A head flows better than a B18C1 or C5...so thats why I would go with it...its also cheaper.

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd seriously inquire about that integra wrecked LS. The engines are the least expensive of the swaps, there's tons of after market support for them, they have great torque, there's no wiring for vtec on when you swap them which makes it cheaper and easier, and if you're not pleased with the power, they are an excellent candidate to turbo charge. Or if you want to stay NA, you can always wire for vtec and do the LS-vtec head job

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Preach it brotha! I also think B20's are pretty cool....CRV-TEC 8)

black_dragon_i

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
B16a head flows better than a C1 or C5.........?

can you please show me these numbers on a flow bench at .01lift through all 4 cycles.
Because you are basically saying that Honda engineers worked backwards, creating a technilogically advanced motor in the past then dupping the consumer into buying more powerful cars under the pretense that their heads flow better. Not trying to start anything just want to see the proof of your claims. At least you are not saying the b16a and b18c1 heads are identicle, that was floating around the net for a while. The b16a and b17a heads are identical, the c1 has butterfly valves in the intake manifold and both it and the c5 have the ports higher up on the head to aid in flow velocity so I think your data is incorrect.

I am glad someone on here has realized that the problem with the hybrid motor is not the motor itself it is the person who built and the driver of the car that are usually to blame for the death of these motors. When people are asked would they put a ECU without a rev limit or a rev limit of 8g on a stock b18a/b or b20 block they respond no with a chuckle as if it were a stupid question, then the ? is why is it ok to do this when all you did was bolt on a head. If you are going to take a motor engineered to rev at 6500 and bring it to 8g you need to taker percautions when building, people do not then say the motors are crap, you then hear this and without researching say the same, reminds me of what happened with Nitrous Oxide, people do not build motors for this with the same thought patern as they do for Super Chargers or Nitrous and then blame the gas for the detonation, humors me.

B16a has better gearing.....? Better gearing for what, it is close ratio which means it helps you attempt to stay in the peaky VTEC range, you use any kind of boost on this tranny and you are shooting yourself in the foot. In my experience the S80, Y1 and YS1 off the b18a/b and b18c1/c5 are far superior to that of the B16a. Better gearing (especially final drive) of course for racing i have a disdain for hydro as they tend to result in more missed shifts and the need to rev high for moving from a dead stop, to each his own i guess!

About the JSRC, besides being a parasitic peice of metal which cost just as much as a well purchased turbo but has less potential, there have been alot of people coming forward with problems with their SC on the B16 motor. JRSC is now just a name that another company is using, I can not remember the name of the company but know that Ol' Oscar is not in charge of this anymore. They sold the rights to another company. JR will install the parts but they have no say so in quality control anymore. The JSRC other than most times being overfilled with Castor Oil from the factory and leaking all over your engine bay, has a problem with the internal bearings becoming misaligned, the belts always working themselves loose and leaks from the manifold mating surface. If this were not bad enough there is a fueling problem and when going to high boost detonation (ping) is a every present danger. You will more often than not have a problem getting your warantee honored ESPECIALLY if you did not have it installed by a certified shop that is recognized by the company that owns the rights to the JRSC. The guys I talked to had them installed AT JR and they still got hell trying to get a replacement or money back, if you want one still they will be happy to sell theirs since they are taking up space in their garages, having long since payed the 1500 instillation fee to have them removed (yup that is right cost the same to take it off as to put it on even though it was faulty).

Myogi_Nightkid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^ that's it? all you can say is "bla" to what black_dragon_i had said???

everything that he said is true and makes sense. if you don't have anything to say, you shouldn't have posted anything then. :roll:

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i've never seen someone take offence to "bla". Actually I was going to agree with that but I had to run off. The other thing I wanted to add was the fact of people arguing about the big heated debate of rod/stroke ratio. About the near perfect r/s of the b16 and the b18 which is much lower. about how the b16 is much more raliable because of this. Well the design from Honda engineers is much more advanced than most that even an engine of a higher r/s ratio than the b18 is probably not as reliable. i think that if you are altering the redline of any engine to high margins, you're significantly lower the life of your engine anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.