B16 Turbo

reverandkenjami

5+ Year Member
Hi guys.. New to the site..

Just wondering how much work is involved in putting a turbo on a B16..
Also what are the pros/cons..

Thanks

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
1. Downpipe
2. Turbo Manifold
3. Turbo
4. Silicone hoses/Clamps
5. Intercooler
6. Various Pipes
7. Oil line for turbo and various fittings for check valves, oil return etc...
8. Blow off valve
9. Wastegate
10. Vacuum hoses
11. Fuel Management

Putting it on is as easy as removing bolts and plugs, drilling into your oil pan, and replacing bolts. It only gets more complicated depending on what you do for fuel management.

Pros: Obvious increase in hp and torque.

Cons: Can greatly reduce engine lifespan if not done properly

Tek-C

Powered By USAF!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Shiznit said:
1. Downpipe
2. Turbo Manifold
3. Turbo
4. Silicone hoses/Clamps
5. Intercooler
6. Various Pipes
7. Oil line for turbo and various fittings for check valves, oil return etc...
8. Blow off valve
9. Wastegate
10. Vacuum hoses
11. Fuel Management

Putting it on is as easy as removing bolts and plugs, drilling into your oil pan, and replacing bolts. It only gets more complicated depending on what you do for fuel management.

Pros: Obvious increase in hp and torque.

Cons: Can greatly reduce engine lifespan if not done properly
That about summed it all up.

There's alot of info out there on doing this.

WalterRonny

Amante de los EG's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
there are a lot of b16s boosted and there are a lot of info about it.. what are your plans?

reverandkenjami

5+ Year Member
Was hoping to reach about 230/240 bhp.. Just wondering was there much internal work to be done before you can turbo and how much boost would it take?

Either that or get a B20 Block and keep the B16A head and turbo that.. Heard that the oil galleries on the B20 tend to fail quite a lot, any truth in that??

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
nope, thats goal is very reasonable on a stock block, just slap the turbo on there tune it and have fun. the amount of psi it would take to achieve that goal depends on the size of the turbo you get.

WalterRonny

Amante de los EG's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
reverandkenjami said:
Was hoping to reach about 230/240 bhp.. Just wondering was there much internal work to be done before you can turbo and how much boost would it take?

Either that or get a B20 Block and keep the B16A head and turbo that.. Heard that the oil galleries on the B20 tend to fail quite a lot, any truth in that??
me to men, im boosting my hatch b16 stock, and i hope to reach about the same power just fitting t3t/04b stock internals. ;) about 8 psi... or maybe 10 psi (i think runing with that boost i will can to reach more power than 240 whp).. :twisted:

reverandkenjami

5+ Year Member
Picked myself up a B20 Block.. So gonna go with the B16 head and B20 bottom end.. What size turbo you guys recomend??