B16A "Budget Build"- Fun but dailaible// Questions!

Keromar

Hey folks! I'll try and narrow down my thoughts here... I am really thinking about stepping into the Honda game but I really had some questions I am unsure about.

+What is typically considered "safe power" before the engine takes a dump?
+Do these engines like turbos? If so, would they reliable take one "bolted on" plus tuning?
+Are there any weaknesses to these engines? thin block wall? (I think the B20 had that), pistons, rods?
+What are some upgrades that would help me get to 200whp reliably and without breaking my bank? (I know the more money you have to spend the faster a car can be built go XD; so let's speculate and say I have $3,000 for parts)

Since dreams are free and don't have price tags, I'd to daily a 1990 dx hatchback with a B16a making 250+whp.
+Do you guys think the dream is attainable within that budget?

I know there's a lot of questions there, but honestly I'd appreciate any help or links y'all can give me, I've read all sorts of stuff about the b16a and I am not totally sure what's accurate or inaccurate.

Last edited:

linkdeezie

Respected
if you have $3k to spend on parts, then you are good!. I guarantee you can use that to get to 200 hp. Now all this is assuming u have a health b16 to start with. go on ebay and buy a forged piston/rod combo. I suggest something around 9.5:1 compression ratio. Then sleeve your block or send out to CSS. If you send it out to CSS then you may have to bore it out. i recently heard that rumor that they must be bored .5 over now but i havent personally confirmed it. Then buy a turbo cheap ass turbo kit from ebay. Be sure to replace the turbo with one with an actual well-established name on it like Precision or Greddy. Upgrade your injectors as well. Some company on ebay actually sells 1000cc injectors for like $100 bucks. They just look like stock. And last but not least, Honda s300 for the win as far as engine management goes. Tune that motor and i guarantee MORE than 200 hp, definitely a daily, and it will be money well spent.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Since dreams are free and don't have price tags, I'd to daily a 1990 dx hatchback with a B16a making 250+whp.
+Do you guys think the dream is attainable within that budget?
Does that $3k include the price of the motor? Do you already have the car and motor in?

CivicLover5269

Respected
I'd say definitely install a NOS kit to quickly get to 200 whp. Might want to spend the other 2500$ on engine fortifications though.