b16a swap

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey everyone. Well, I've decided to ditch my current plan on addin stuff to my d16y7 motor and now I will be saving up to a complete swap for a b16a. www.hmotorsonline.com is selling the complete changeover for $2350 Does anyone know of a better site that I should get it from? Also, should I go with JDM or USDM?? I know that the JDM put out 10 extra horses, but I've also heard of the smoking problems that JDM engines have. Can anyone help my out with different placed to buy it, any problems that I would run into along the way, and anything else that would help me. I would go for a better engine b16b (right?) but I don't have that much money...anyway...

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just found this on ebay.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2403078299&category=33620 anygood???

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that seller has no feed back or anything, so i would be skeptical from buying fromhim, also it says B16 swap "Picture", so he may just be selling the picture of the swap. People try to scam like that. Hmotorsonline.com has pretty good service from what i hear, and most people are happy with them.

I dont know what the smog laws are like where you live, but in Cali JDM engines are illegal. So if its the same in your state, then your better off going USDM, so you dont have to worry about the smog issues.

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, I'm thinkin of just stickin with USDM....I mean, 10 hp less...whoop. So, do you think this is a good swap?

Violator

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Stay away from ebay when it comes to buying an engine, you have to worry about it possibly being stolen, or the seller wont send/never had the engine.

I bought mine from www.jdmspec.net, $1022 for a B16A for a 92-95 civic. I havent had any problems with my engine so far. I'd go with a B18C or B16A.

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what are the main differences between b16a and a b18c???

Myogi_Nightkid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "M706"

what are the main differences between b16a and a b18c???
big difference in HP and torque. btw, a b18c is a J-spec engine.

but before you do a swap, you should ask yourself what you really want to do with your car and what kind of driving are you going to do. like are you going to do drag, autocross, road racing or just aggressive street otherwise known as daily driving.

once you decide on what to do, do more research as what engine and set up is best for you and your pocket. sure the swap will cost you 2300 but you'll never know if there are parts that are missing and eventually spend even more. not to mention labor costs.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would get a b18c because of the biggger displacement

saephan5150

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anyone know of a good site where i can get information on b16a or b18c swaps?

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree with Si_Racer13. Go with the B18.

B16:
1.6 L
160 HP
111 T

B18C1:
1.8 L
170 HP
128 T

I believe the B18C1 redlines @ a later rpm. They're both VTEC which is good. What are your goals and driving habits?

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check this book out....it's my Honda bible:

Honda/Acura Engine Performance by Mike Kojima. It has everything from engine build-ups to turbos, superchargers, nitrious, and more!!!

benzo

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "saephan5150"

anyone know of a good site where i can get information on b16a or b18c swaps?
check out this web site www.silentrage.net and talk to a guy named Cory. He knows alot of stuff.