B16a turbo setup help

earlybill1

Hope this is not to dumb of a question but here goes..... im so glad tax time.is just around the corner cause that's the only time o would be able to afford this swap
So im looking to swap from my 97 ex y8 to the all great and mighty b16a and im wanting to do a complete build setup for a turbo. Sounds good rite.... ok so there no way I could do all at once (b16 swap,build for turbo and then add turbo ) so here's the dumb question is it ok to use it as a daily driver after the swap and turbo setup til I can save enough to buy and get turbo installed (not sure how long that would be) and last dumb question is could i not just buy a ebay turbo kit since b16 would ne built for a turbo? I've herd bad stuff bout ebay turbos on stock y8s but just curious . Here's one more for ya I really need a complete parts list for rear brake conversion for my ex I've search every where but ppl say same stuff but im nor understanding their lingo I need everything and how toos maybe a good web link that I've missed would help thanks for any help

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

CO671

Registered VIP
Do you have any clue how much you'll be able to spend?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes you can daily drive a motor that has been rebuilt for turbo. If you end up running with lower compression pistons, don't expect the motor to be as peppy as it would be in stock form.

Just because you build your motor for boost, doesn't mean that an ebay bought turbo kit is any better than it normally is. The kits themselves consist of low quality parts. Some last longer than others, but the parts that matter the most are almost always not up to standard. You could buy the ebay kit, and rebuild or replace the crap parts with solid performing pieces, but i'm not sure if that'll be as cost effective as it seems.

you can literally google your last question and find how to's and parts lists in several places.

earlybill1

Yes you can daily drive a motor that has been rebuilt for turbo. If you end up running with lower compression pistons, don't expect the motor to be as peppy as it would be in stock form.

Just because you build your motor for boost, doesn't mean that an ebay bought turbo kit is any better than it normally is. The kits themselves consist of low quality parts. Some last longer than others, but the parts that matter the most are almost always not up to standard. You could buy the ebay kit, and rebuild or replace the crap parts with solid performing pieces, but i'm not sure if that'll be as cost effective as it seems.

you can literally google your last question and find how to's and parts lists in several places.
Thanks child I was thinking if it was built for turbo setup it should ne around 200hp b4 turbo am I rite but I don't understand why that would ne not peppy enough but I guess im wrong that's why im asking for y'all advice and for googling bout the brake swap im saying they all say same thing and im not getting the complete parts list like I need .....ill keep looking thanks again

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Building for boost, you want lower compression pistons etc. Without boost, the lower compression set-up will not be as peppy.

If you plan on swapping everything and boosting correctly. Plan on most of the $8k being spent. I am goign to guess that if you swap and boost, (again... correctly) you will spend about $5k total.

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Words of advice, piece together your own kit. You will get EVERYTHING you want in the build with quality parts (as long as you spend the money to buy quality parts). I started off with a kit on my B16A motor from Treadstone performance. The kit required some modifications to fit, which is a pain in the balls usually. I managed to get 268 horsepower on 10psi with a stock block.

Later down the road I rebuilt the entire motor after bending a valve and pieced together the rest of a kit tossing aside the original parts I got in the kit from Treadstone. I ended up with 403 horsepower on 17psi of boost. If you've got questions feel free to PM me.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i wanna know where you heard that the b16a is a great and mighty motor..

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i wanna know where you heard that the b16a is a great and mighty motor..
It did produce 100hp per liter back in the late 80's. That's at least a lil bit impressive. :what:

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah I would drive the b16 daily in stock form before I decided to build it for turbo. Just feel it out, it will be as dependable as the y8 if its swapped correctly, but I'm sure if you don't plan on any auto sports outside of your daily driving, you'll fall in love with the symphony that is throttle response/vtec crossover when you cut loose.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
may i ask why you want to run this almighty b16a in the first place? its the same displacement with one more cam whats so fancy? i turbo d16y5 sounds just like a b16 when i hit vtec, its all in how the car is tuned. from factory the d16 are tuned for economy and so you cant feel or hear vtec but with my turbo and tune i can hear and feel it kick, just build your d16y8 and save the money from the swap for a good turbo kit.