B16A2 Turbo Parts List - Need Other Opinions

StuG_Lyfe

So after copious amounts of research, I think I'm getting close to a final parts list for my build. I'm aiming for around 250-260 wheel HP on my 2000 SiR (B16A2) The few things I'm not overly sure about are the ECU and tuning software for the build, and what boost controller I should go with

I really just need to make sure I haven't gone overboard with my parts as I want to try keeping costs minimal (in the sense that I don't want to rebuild this engine when I'm doing an LS/VTEC build farther down the road

Blox 1 Piece Cast Racing Manifold (T3 Flange / 38mm Wastegate) - will be reflanged for a 14b or t25 turbo to keep costs down

Either T25 or 14b Turbo (will be rebuilt by local shop prior to installation)

550cc Grams Performance Injectors

Exedy Stage 2 Clutch Kit (resurfaced factory flywheel)

Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

ARP Headstud kit

New Factory Radiator / Slimline Fan

Intercooler (2" thick, low profile) w. 2.25" piping

Tial Wastegate

If there's any glaring omissions please tell me I'm an idiot for forgetting them (seems to be the only way I can figure things out) and if possible make suggestions as far as what I would need.

Any and all help is appreciated!

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
all your parts look pretty decent, what about the intercooler piping and blow off valve? i can almost guarantee that a t25 is going to be way to small for a b series motor but it your going to run one im pretty sure the outlet it 2", so i would run a 2" inch hotside piping and 2.5" cold side intercooler piping. for your boost controller just look into a good company, i run a turbosmart mbc but hallmans is good as im sure many others are also, you could also run a electronic boost controller if you wanted.

if you can solder just buy a p28 ecu and get a chip kit, if not i would order a chipped p28 from xenocron.com. tuning software i would ask the guy you plan on having tune your car, i run crome on my car but hondata is good if your willing to spend 500$ for a s300, ectune with a daemon board is also another good option. crome with a moate ostrich and hulog is the cheapest though

StuG_Lyfe

I'm not set on a T25 turbo. I just don't want to pour money into a fancy Garrett for this build as I'll be putting together an LS/VTEC turbo setup the following winter. If I can get into the mid 200's on a cheaper factory turbo I'll be happy as I don't need to go beyond that power on the current engine.

Dumb question but is it possible to use DSM style injectors for my purposes? A local guy is selling a good condition set of factory Evo4 510cc injectors for a very good price. If these will work I'll snag them as the money saved can go towards other parts

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Use a 14b

Yeah the Evo injectors will work, I think you still need a resistor for them but you should look

What about a breather setup?

Exhaust?

Wideband?

FPR?

Find the tuner first, then ask them what they are comfortable tuning with as far as software goes.

StuG_Lyfe

Have the opportunity to pick up a good condition TD05 16g from a friend for 250. Might do that just because I know where the turbo is coming from.

Exhaust will be 2.5" straight pipe. Perk of living somewhere with no emissions controls. If it's too loud I can always just source a muffler of some sort.

As far as the tuning goes I'll admit I don't really have the first clue where to like. It's a little overwhelming to jump from helping neighbors with carb'd v8's to everything being electronic. The only thing I've seen so far is Hondata S300, but I'm not even sure I would need such a good system for my power goals

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
If you want it to last a long time then yeah you will want something like that.

You can get the older versions for pretty cheap. I just sold a v1 for 275 bucks.

There's also Neptune RTP Demon. Good shopping will net cheaper prices.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Your parts are similar to what I had on my setup (which I am selling, btw...)

I would take Bloodshots' advice and find a tuner first. Ask them what they know best. I was originally going to tune with Crrome, but the tuner told me they had the best experience with Neptune and that he highly recommended that. Since I wasn't the one tuning, I went with Neptune (standalone, not the RTP demon).

StuG_Lyfe

So I should be picking up those injectors this week along with a good condition TD05h turbo. I also took the advice given and talked to the person I'll be getting to tune the car. Looks like I'll be using Hondata S300.

Regarding the turbo I'll be using, I've found a number of incompatible turbo's based on the manifold I've ordered not being able to clear the block. On top of that the turbo I'm getting will not fit the flange on the manifold. To my understanding I've got two options from here to make it work. I can either replace the flange with one that will match my turbo, or I can get a T3 to TD05h adapter piece. I'm leaning towards the adapter based on it pulling the turbo out from the engine a little bit, but I'm worried that it might leak (an extra gasket I technically don't need)

I've also been looking at intercooler setups and have found a lot of positive reviews for Mishimoto stuff. Considering the Z-line universal intercooler and 2.5" IC piping. Is it worth it to get name brand as far as the intercooler is concerned?

Appreciate the advice so far. Thanks!

StuG_Lyfe

So the last holdup I guess is blowoff valve, wideband (no clue what it is will read up when I get home) and any sensors or little things that I don't know about.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
So I should be picking up those injectors this week along with a good condition TD05h turbo. I also took the advice given and talked to the person I'll be getting to tune the car. Looks like I'll be using Hondata S300.

Regarding the turbo I'll be using, I've found a number of incompatible turbo's based on the manifold I've ordered not being able to clear the block. On top of that the turbo I'm getting will not fit the flange on the manifold. To my understanding I've got two options from here to make it work. I can either replace the flange with one that will match my turbo, or I can get a T3 to TD05h adapter piece. I'm leaning towards the adapter based on it pulling the turbo out from the engine a little bit, but I'm worried that it might leak (an extra gasket I technically don't need)

I've also been looking at intercooler setups and have found a lot of positive reviews for Mishimoto stuff. Considering the Z-line universal intercooler and 2.5" IC piping. Is it worth it to get name brand as far as the intercooler is concerned?

Appreciate the advice so far. Thanks!
I've used those adapters before and did not have an issue. I've also used ebay coolers without an issue. At the very least, when you decide to sell that turbo setup you'll get more out of it have more name brand stuff. That's the only benefit I can see when going name brand IC on a build like this.

StuG_Lyfe

I'm doubting I'll wind up selling the setup. If anything I'll fine tune it in another chassis (would love to get my hands on a cleanish crx)

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
does your car have ac installed? reason i ask is because its pretty tough to work around keeping the ac in, most ac compatible kits use a certain turbo to make them clear the block and ac condensor. i originally wanted to run a t25 with adapter on my t3 ramhorn but it sat the turbo way to low in the car to be practical on a slammed car, i would look into the spec of which ever adapter you plan to run so you dont run into my problem. also you will most likely need to grind a little bit out of the webbing on the block to fit the turbo if it sits close enough.

StuG_Lyfe

Car is currently on stock suspension so height isn't an issue. When it does get lowered it's not dropping a huge amount so I should be ok. And if I have to remove ac so be it. Should be able to get an updated parts list tonight

StuG_Lyfe

Ebay 1 Piece Cast Racing Manifold Knockoff (38mm Wastegate) (Will also hunt for decent used manifolds) - will be reflanged for a 14b or t2 turbo to keep costs down

Either T28 or 16g Turbo (will be rebuilt by local shop prior to installation)

510cc DSM Injectors

Exedy Stage 2 Clutch Kit (resurfaced factory flywheel)

Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

ARP Headstud kit

New Factory Radiator / Slimline Fan

Intercooler (Debating between ebay budget kit or Mishimoto Z-Line)

Tial 38mm Wastegate

Custom 2.5" Downpipe to 2.5" Straightpipe exhaust (no emissions testing around here)

Hondata S300

Turbosmart FPR (not sure if there's a specific model I need. Someone just said Turbosmart was good)

Probably wind up with a knockoff BOV of some sort

StuG_Lyfe

Picked up the 16g this afternoon and getting my injectors tomorrow. As far as the Intercooler is concerned does it matter what I get as long as it isn't too big?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It doesnt matter to much if your not looking for 500hp or something, I run an ebay bar and plate fmic. I cant remember but I think the dimensions are 27x5.5x2.5, its pretty small but it works

StuG_Lyfe

The biggest reason I was looking at eBay stuff is that they come as complete kits with all the piping and couplings which is a big bonus. Time to go hunting for my IC