B16b build

Claudio Von Riegan

Hello, i just bought a b16b block and i want to build. Ive read that a gsr head and transmission will fit but i want to make sure. Im planing to build it for learning purposes and because i have a d16y8. So any advice and or recommendations will be appreciated. (Of course budget friendly)
Thank you!

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ive read that a gsr head and transmission will fit but i want to make sure.
Yes, through searching, you can be sure because this has been documented 1000's of times over the past 25 or so years.

So any advice and or recommendations will be appreciated. (Of course budget friendly)
You can't expect advice without power number goals and actual, realistic dollar amount you have to spend.

Claudio Von Riegan

Yes, through searching, you can be sure because this has been documented 1000's of times over the past 25 or so years.

You can't expect advice without power number goals and actual, realistic dollar amount you have to spend.
You're right sorry about that. Im mostly looking for parts right now since i only have the block so i dont have a power range because well i dont know how this will turn out. Im willing to spent 300 per part. Of course there will be parts that are cheaper and some that will be slightly more expensive and im not buying them all at once.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You're right sorry about that. Im mostly looking for parts right now since i only have the block so i dont have a power range because well i dont know how this will turn out. Im willing to spent 300 per part. Of course there will be parts that are cheaper and some that will be slightly more expensive and im not buying them all at once.
You still didn't answer the questions.
What are your power goals and what do you have to spend total?

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you're kinda diving into the deep end. I'd sell that block and save up for a b18 / b16 full swap.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
200 at the wheels? That's not happening with $2.5k. If your d16y8 is healthy you could get into that range and have room to expand with a used turbo setup.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$2500 total to spend isn't going to net you 200 whp.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sell it and spend 2500 on a k series if you want to make na power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeanShine

5+ Year Member
If all you have is a B16 block (and no other components) then I would heed the advice of Mr. Baker and TigBitties. Yes, you could source a GSR head, transmission, and some OBD1 chipped ECU. But the reality is that just getting those parts, and getting the rest of the parts you will need for the B swap will probably get you near your $2000 budget. Little things like shift linkages, axles, etc will start to add up quick. And you definitely won't be anywhere near your goal of 200hp to the wheels.

If all you have is the block, then I wouldn't let it dictate the rest of your build. My recommendation would be to take the $2000 that you would spend, and keep your eyes out for a cheap 99-00 Civic SI or a 95-01 Integra. Then you can do an entire drivetrain swap (with almost all of the extra parts you would need) and you can sell off all the parts you don't need. It is so much easier to do a swap when you have a donor car available. It would be a great learning experience, and it would leave you spending less than $2000 after selling off the parts that you don't need.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My recommendation would be to take the $2000 that you would spend, and keep your eyes out for a cheap 99-00 Civic SI or a 95-01 Integra.
Realistically, 90-01 Integra would be feasible too, especially with $2k or so to work with.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Moral of the story, you need a bigger budget for your goal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk