B18C1 or B18B

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
oh i know that a b18 still needs to be wound out to make power, but less so than the b16. ive driven both too, and i personally find the b18 much nicer around town. just my opinion. i personally am stuck with my d16z6, but ive heavily researched swapping options. unfortunately, my school comes before my car, and i need to pay off my crash debt before i can continue modding.

as for vtec-e, it operates differently than normal vtec. vtec-e's camshaft has 3 different lobe patterns, where as normal vtec has 2 patterns (both low speed lobes are the same). one lobe is almost perfectly round, only opening the valve enough to keep fuel from pooling on the backside of the valve. the second low speed lobe is still short lift/duration, but opens more than the other one. the reason for this is the engine's lean burn technology, and having only 1 intake valve open creates swirl in the combustion chamber. below 2500 rpm at light throttle, the engine can run as high as 25:1 air/fuel ratio (normal or stoichiometric is 14.7:1) and the swirl creates whats called "stratified charge" meaning that right around the spark plug the a/f mixture is locally rich, allowing it to burn. normally a spark plug would have a very hard time lighting off a 25:1 charge, but with the swirl, its able to light it off. after 2500 rpm, oil pressure in the head forces a pin through the cam followers making them follow the larger third lobe. this is a bit longer duration/higher lift than the standard lobe found on non-vtec d series (like the dx motor) which is why vx/hx motors have a bit more hp than their counterparts.

RainyDaze

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "handlebarsfsr"

b18c is the best (affordable) b series motor. the b18c5 (type r) motor makes more hp, but its $5000+ pricetag is just out of this world. you should be able to find this motor for around 3 grand or so. stock it is faster and torquier than the b16 thanks to its extra displacement, and mods are also more effective on it. if you plan to do only bolt ons and leave the motor pretty much stock, this is the engine to get.
Thanks a bunch for all the info Handlebarsfsr, it was a lot and quite helpful. :D
Question, though, about the B18C. I know there is a B18C1 and a B18C5. I need to make sure whatever I swap for is USDM which I have heard would be the B18C1. Am I correct :?:

When I do the swap I will have to have a knowledgeable mechanic do it as I do not have access to tools nor the skills to do the swap myself and unfortuanetly I do not know anyone personnaly nearby who has the skills to do an engine swap.

Also thank you to everyone else who had info. :D

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yes b18c1 is the usdm gsr motor. the motor swap itself is easy, its the wiring that gets most people. you will need for that swap: engine, tranny, ecu, axles, hasport mounts, halfshaft, wiring harness, etc. you will also want to replace (while the engine is out of the car) the head gasket, transmission seal, all other seals, all belts, water pump, fuel filter, air filter, clutch and flywheel. yes i know its expensive, but if you want a reliable engine, you have to do this. you wont know when the previous owner did these items, so DO THEM.

RainyDaze

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Alright thanks

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
will a b18c1 drop rite into a 1st or 2ng gen CRX?plug and play i like that

1.6_all_motor

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmmm.....dont u have an SI.....

anyways....if u want swap like motor an stuff......i got the best price around....cheaper then and jdm site.....all motor are usdm......not much of a difference guy.......anyways....if ur interested in anymore ..just let me knoe....and i'll get on it for u.......GO b18C dude.....or H22.....

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
canu keep me a B18c1 open till like next august? i need a car 1st

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Originally posted by "sik_civic"

will a b18c1 drop rite into a 1st or 2ng gen CRX?plug and play i like that
no!!! 2nd gen crx's arent hard to swap in, but it needs significant wiring modification, engine mounts, and some frame mods to make it fit. 1g will need LOTS of custom work to fit, and it would be a wiring nightmare (most 1g crx's had carbs).

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you need to get mounts from hasport or somewhere else. the wiring depends on the model of the car (hf, dx, si) and what obd the engine is. b18c's only came in obd 1 and 2, where as all crx's are obd0. wires need to be run for a myriad of things- knock sensor, vtec, extra o2 sensors, etc. its a big job. if its a dx, its even more involved than if its a hf or si, because the dx has dual point fuel injection. hf's also require you to swap the hubs because thieir splines are smaller than those of other civics and tegs. the only even close to bolt in swap for the 4g's is the b16a sirI and the 90-91 teg b18a.

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is the b18a better boost or NA?is the b16a better boost or NA?wut wud be better for a daily driver

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Originally posted by "sik_civic"

is the b18a better boost or NA?is the b16a better boost or NA?wut wud be better for a daily driver
that depends. b16a is a very high strung motor, it makes all its power way up in the rev range. very little low end torque. b18a makes good low and midrange torque, but (depending on year) only makes 130 or 140hp. the 1st gen (88-91) b16a makes 160 hp. both work well boosted, but the b18a can hold more boost because it has a lower compression ratio. n/a is b16 territory, the non vtec honda motors dont rev well enough to stay n/a without a ls/vtec conversion. if your boostin, i personally would recomend the b18a, but either motor would work well. n/a i would say b16 unless your doing a ls/vtec (which i think is a big waste of money, cus it costs a lot to do it right) simply because of the plethora of parts available for the b16. either way they are both good motors, you cant go wrong with either one.

b18c/type-rhead

5th gen coupe handler
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my 95 5th gen ex has a b18c with a type r head, with dc headers, test pipe also ecu, i know it should have a little over 200 hundred horse power but im not sure i know you would know handlbarsfsr and you think it would be in the low 14's in a quarter mile?
By the way i like the way the b18c feels compared to a b16

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by Team 4R

the b18c is a gsr motor..... 1.8L vtec. nice, but not my cup of tea..... not impressed with some of its details.

funny how the things we hate the most, come back to get us (or whatever deepti says)

-daniel

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by b18c/type-rhead
my 95 5th gen ex has a b18c with a type r head, with dc headers, test pipe also ecu, i know it should have a little over 200 hundred horse power but im not sure i know you would know handlbarsfsr and you think it would be in the low 14's in a quarter mile?
By the way i like the way the b18c feels compared to a b16
btw, you dont know jack s**t do you???

first of all, you have a b18c.. C Whut!@??!!? C1 C5 ..

because you could have a b18c5.. so say b18c/type r head .. is STUPID, you could just say, i have ITR engine... but for the sake of stupidity, im going to assume you've got a GSR bottom end

next thing, sense the damn car is only a 4banger, it only has HEADER.. there is only ONE header .. if there were more, then you could say headerS...

with those 2 or 3 mods listed, your not makin over 200whp , but runnin low 14's, s**t you better or else you suck ass at driving

-daniel

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by SeanJohn1802
funny how the things we hate the most, come back to get us (or whatever deepti says)

-daniel
yup, the things you try to run from always come back to get you.....

words of f**king wisdom.....