Bad cat and no cel???

spidersilva

Just wondering if you could have a bad cat without the check engine light on? I know the cel works cuz it lights up when the key is in the ignition after the first turn and i know some people sell their cars after they break the cel light and say it doesn't have a cel light on lol. that's why you gotta check first but anyways, feel like my cat is bad cuz there is hesitation when accelerating and after driving for awhile the car stinks and minor white smoke is coming from exhaust. I currently have no cel light. D15b1, 1991 honda civic hatchy. Oh yeah also can you bolt on the cat or does it have to welded on? I looked under and saw two bolts on one side but not sure, i know i'm a noob but thanks guys for reading.

JGvtec

The names Jordan
Is it a stock cat? Then im sure it was welded on. When you get a full exhaust it comes with a flange on either end.

As far as the white smoke and the hesitation. All id do now is just check inside your antifreeze container to check for a milky residue. Hopefully your head gasket didn't crap out on you. You said it was just minor white smoke so you should be fine. Hesitation im lost on. Last time you had a tune up?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
hesitation may very well be o2 sensor. I had an identical issue. car would hesitate so bad you could WALK by me until I hit 3500 rpm's or so... and that's will the pedal to the FLOOR.

I had no CEL for that issue, either.

The sensor was still giving the ECU readings because it was functioning, it just wasn't functioning properly.. still enough to not give throw me any code

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Also you have to remember that you are running obd0. You have a single wire o2 and only one of them on the header. The only way you would get a cel is if you had obd2 or higher. the o2 after the cat would throw a code then because the cat is not filtering like it should. also if your getting a bit of white smoke and hesitation then i would start testing for a head gasket.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Also you have to remember that you are running obd0. You have a single wire o2 and only one of them on the header. The only way you would get a cel is if you had obd2 or higher. the o2 after the cat would throw a code then because the cat is not filtering like it should. also if your getting a bit of white smoke and hesitation then i would start testing for a head gasket.
good call, forgot he wasn't obd2 :???: :lol:

spidersilva

well yeah the car needs a tune-up and a cat, after I do this ill see if this problem still happens, thanks