bad vibrations after installing VW wheels on a ek

Pandemic

Few days ago I put a set of 14in vw passat wheels on the civic.
There's this really bad vibrating /slight pulling in the steering wheel.
I checked the lugs and they had loosened up a little bit.looked into it andfound out that
Vw's use a ball seat lug (or lug bolt) and honda use a conical seal.
Instead of swapping hubs to run vw lugbolts, I ordered a set of lug nuts with ball seats(off track-studs.com)
The lugs should be here tomorrow but if they wind up not fixing the issue andbody know what else might fix it

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If it's not the lug nuts, it's probably because the centerbore's are different sizes. If that's the case, you'll need hub centric rings.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
have the wheels re-balanced. Its nothing to loose one of the balancing weights

Pandemic

What's the install like for the hub centric ring

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Actually, factory Honda wheels use ball lug nut seats.

If it's not the lug nuts, it's probably because the centerbore's are different sizes. If that's the case, you'll need hub centric rings.
This can most certaintly be a factor, considering it's not a Honda wheel. Having different centerbore's will make a difference . It also wouldn't be a bad idea to get the wheels balanced.

Pandemic

so winds up the lugs got rid of SOME of the vibration but not all of it.
read up about hub centric rings and the majority of stuff i read said most people couldnt tell the difference with or without them.

so going to get the tires balanced which i really hope fixes the issue and if not idk, maybe try the rings...

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
read up about hub centric rings and the majority of stuff i read said most people couldnt tell the difference with or without them.

so going to get the tires balanced which i really hope fixes the issue and if not idk, maybe try the rings...
Balancing should probably do the trick. If not, it's your car being pissed that it has to wear those VW wheels.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the bad vibrations you're getting are from the honda spirits who are angry at you for putting vw wheels on the sacraed body of a civic. to fix it you must put honda steelies on, then wash and wax your car then sacrifice the sponge to the honda spirits (usually they prefer a burning sponge on a stick) after this the vibrations should stop... but if not you're f***ed lol.

anyways I agree with everyone else they are either out of balance or the centerbore is different

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

Read this:

http://www.justforwheels.com/hub-centric-rings.jsp

This gap usually doesn't allow for the wheel to fit hubcentric but rather lugcentric which causes vibration. Therefore, to fill the gap and ensure the fitment is hubcentric, hub rings are used.
Getting the wheels balanced would be a good idea. Mainly to check and see of any if the wheels are bent badly enough to cause serious vibrations.

Also make sure you always tq the lug nuts in a star pattern to 80ft-lbs.

Pandemic

first thanks to everyone for the responses.

wound up going to get the tires balanced and finding out the the front passenger tire had a big bubble in it. apparently one of the belts shifted inside the tire.
got a new tire put on and the vibrations gone.knock on wood it doesnt return.