Bad wheel hop!

Lately I have noticed ive been getting a lot of wheel hop, and thumping sounds from the passenger front tire. I have a 98 civic ex with a jdm b16 with new hasport 70a mounts so i know its not the mounts i also go new avid torque mounts. I dont know what it is. I checked the tire n tried to move it to see if anything was loose but nothing it was solid. When i leave my drive way reversing it makes a thump sound when the passenger tire goes into the gutter, and sometimes when taking a turn fast it makes the same noise not all the time tho sounds like and feels like my rim is coming loose. I dunno if its just the car n i need a traction bar or if something is wrong. and if i get a traction bar will it solve this problem?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You more than likely have worn bushings or possibly ball joints. How many miles on the car?

Yea thats what im thinking but what bushings and if they are worn how can i look n tell if they are? The car maybe has like 100,***+ i dunno beacuse that car is swapped and has a different cluster. But i recently hit a bad curb so that can probably cause it? I got the car aligned and everything when i hit the curb.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well the problem with FWD cars from the get-go is wheel hop. There's lower ball joint, upper ball joint, control arms and sway bars. There may be more I'm missing. But bushings can play a factor into wheel hop. Also, lower and stiffer suspension will help. And don't dump the clutch. That's the biggest mistake. Unless you're on slicks and your car is setup for a hard launch, you shouldn't be dumping the clutch.

I got a new rim so i know thats not the problem. I checked all the ball joints axles tie rods etc just not the bushings yet because i forgot about it. I have suspension work all ready done my car is made for autox n not drag racing so i never launch my car. I have GC coilovers on koni yellows, itr rear sway bar with asr subframe, etc. I have a act hd 6 puck clutch so the wheel hop is 10x worse but recently it got worse n started to making thumping noises. Seems like bushings from searching n seems like the symptoms cuz my steering has been feeling loose, car has been pulling to the left or right sometimes and i just got an alignment not too long ago.

VigLink badge