best color?

DarkFox

5+ Year Member
my car(94 civic sedan,all stock..for now) needs a paintjob. it's currently white but it's at that stage where it's almost multi color. so basically as the title says, whats the best overall color. this include how fast it fades, easy to clean, somewhat original from other civics rolling on the streets nowadays and if it should be just the normal paintjob or metallic. thanks for the help.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reds are going to appear to fade faster than other paint colors. This is because oxidation is a blueish whiter color (modern clearcoat paint doesn't really fade that much at all and single stage enamals can be buffed to remove the top layer of faded paint). Red doesn't seem to usually show dust, pollen, dirt, etc very well. Bird crap is about the only thing you see right away on red.

Black and other similar colors (navy, deep purple colors, etc) are going to be difficult to take care of because it's so easy to see every little scratch on them. Dusts, pollen, and dirt are also going to be very obvious on a color like this.

White doesn't show scratches as well, or dust or pollen and when it oxidizes few people will notice. That is, until the car becomes an over all "frosty" look and completely loses it's shine. As with other paints, remove the oxidation and it can be like new though.

I'd personally look at other cars on the road. Really just look at the paint. Some of the best paint colors I've seen on Civics actually come from SUVs and trucks. Now remember that on a big boxy truck the color won't reflect in the same exact manner as it would on your more round car.

I wouldn't go for something too flashy (bright yellow or green for example). Muted colors are some of my favorites right now.

Other than that, the only way that paint is going to continue to look new is if you take care of it. Wash it weekly or so, keep bird crap off of it (it etches the clear and will stay visible without repair). Polish and wax it, and maybe even glaze, etc every few months to keep a protective layer on it and to make the paint look deep again. Don't wash with dishsoap and use a car shampoo instead.

This should keep your paint looking new and clean. There is an extent to that (drive down a dirt road and it won't look as clean usually) but keeping a nice layer of wax on it will actually make it less likely for your car to get scratches.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have to agree, 5th gen sedans and coupes look f**kin good in red ;)

DarkFox

5+ Year Member
white seems nice. whats the difference between the normal white and the championship white?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Which normal white do you mean? Honda has many different colors of whites available.

Here are some from 1998 for Honda cars. These are just swatches and should only be used for comparision to what is also on the swatch.

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im partial to suzuka blue >`

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Rand0m said:
im partial to suzuka blue >`
:werd:
If only your paint had been in better condition.

It's light enough to not show scratches as well too.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Hey man, if ur getting it repainted, go with championship white(my vote) because you dont see many of them at all. and as amy stated nice n easy to clean and doesnt really fade. plus i dont know if ive ever even seen a 5th gen in white...oh and get a nice tint to set off the windows from the paint. thats what i tried but i cant go any darker on tint without gettin pulled

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:cry: *sheds a tear thinking about the hatch*

:rolf: its a shame that thing didnt have A/C....

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
White DOES oxidize just as badly as other paints. Clearcoat paint DOES NOT fade as old style - single stage enamals - do!

White will just hide it longer. Not that I think that's good, because everyday I see white cars that look rough to the touch, that look like a piece of paper, because the owner never thoght it was dirty, so it never got cleaned, so now it's oxidized worse than any other car I've ever seen.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
White also hides all the little waves and imperfections in the body much better than dark colors.

DarkFox

5+ Year Member
thanks for the chart NOFX. i look up some CW colored civics and they look okay. tafetta white seems to have that shiny clean look to them, which i like. the color hondaspeedax looks nice from what i see from his sig. is that frost white or tafetta white?

Last edited:

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think we figured out what it was in another thread.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
NOFX said:
I think we figured out what it was in another thread.
Taffeta all the way for me...looks wet almost all the time :thumbs up: lol i was sittin here thinking the same thing, then i remembered it was my thread lol way to go me! If you wanna see more pics, theres links in my sig

AllShowNoGo9

5+ Year Member
I painted my Civic, caribbean blue...off the 02+ Nissan/Infiniti color....IMO an absolutely beautiful color. An ungodly amount of metal flake with purple and copper pearls to accentuate the flop angles. I used the PPG paint system, complete with the 2021 clear and the car came out AMAZINGLY, especially for my first paint job. The color is absolutely gorgeous and you next to NEVER see cars that color, even the G35's the color originally came on.

fitbmx1986

speed safely
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^ can you take some pics for me? im interested in what it looks likke since im about to paint my car also

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
if you're gonna paint it with another company's paint, i really like the white pearly color of the Lexus LS 430 dont kno the name of it tho

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
And please remember, care of white paint is not as easy as people make it out to be. It just hides things more so they're more difficult to find to clean. I can only theorize this is why I see so many white paint jobs on relatively new cars that appear to have the shine of parchment.