Bike rack rice??

spidersilva

Is having a bike rack on your car where you don't even put bikes or even ride bikes qualify your car as a ricer? I'm starting to notice a lot more cars with bike racks and they don't even own bikes, they just put it on there cuz it looks cool. But then again it doesn't make your ride look faster which having big spoilers and tail pipes do which is rice. Then again neon lights under your car doesn't make your car look faster but people say it's rice. What is rice, and does a bike rack qualify?

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How do you know they don't have bikes? Do you stalk them and search their belongings?

Trekk

Registered VIP
Ricer trend, just like sticker bombs , shocker stickers, and crap hanging off the rear bumper. Plus every dam gas station in my area is missing the 93 oct stickers on the pump.... another ricer trend...

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
what does it matter? if they like it who are you to judge? rice is what you make it. imo jdm is the new rice. its all just a bunch of fanboys that all want to look the same. I build my cars and trucks the way I want and really don't give a flying f**k what you or anyone else for that matter thinks. that's the way any build should be. that's my 2 cents.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Depends on how you define rice but it's definitely stupid, especially considering how expensive they are. I actual do ride bikes but I'm able to fit 2 large mountain bikes in the back of the Fit. I'd kind of like to get one but a new Yakima or Thule is about $750 which is absurd IMO.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm gonna have to agree with Redline, here. Rice is a stupid concept itself. If somebody likes it and extracts some amount of satisfaction from it, then let it be. If somebody else's taste / desires bother you, then it's your issue to deal with.

As far as your friends having racks with no bikes, screw it. They're your friends, you should support them anyway. As for strangers, you don't know them and whether or not they have bikes. Whether it's rice or not in somebody's opinion really doesn't seem to matter here, as the application of the decision is purely theoretical.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Apparently, from what I've read, RICE stands for "Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements" like, a giant spoiler that wasn't installed with downforce in mind or used for any actual racing where it would benefit the car. But as far as roof racks go, just do what YOU like. I have a vtec decal on the side of my civic. Some people would say that's rice. But idgaf. I payed for my car with my hard earned money and I'll do what I like to it. This is what's ruining the scene these days, everyone wanting to do the same thing. Keep it alive, and do what YOU like, and build an original car.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is having a bike rack on your car where you don't even put bikes or even ride bikes qualify your car as a ricer? I'm starting to notice a lot more cars with bike racks and they don't even own bikes, they just put it on there cuz it looks cool. But then again it doesn't make your ride look faster which having big spoilers and tail pipes do which is rice. Then again neon lights under your car doesn't make your car look faster but people say it's rice. What is rice, and does a bike rack qualify?
The neon and the ridiculous altezza lights and all that is cosmetic stuff. Its totally ridiculous people are using roof racks (something functional) as just something to look at. THAT'S why it's gay as f**k. At least the giant wings and projector headlights don't front lol

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
young - that's an acronym that was used after the term rice was coined. The term rice most likely was applied to Japanese cars in general by the American car fans, deriving from the fact that the Japanese eat a lot of rice.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what does it matter? if they like it who are you to judge? rice is what you make it. imo jdm is the new rice. its all just a bunch of fanboys that all want to look the same. I build my cars and trucks the way I want and really don't give a flying f*** what you or anyone else for that matter thinks. that's the way any build should be. that's my 2 cents.
I agree 100%. It's their money, let them spend it how they want, just like I am going to spend mine how I want to.

Depends on how you define rice but it's definitely stupid, especially considering how expensive they are. I actual do ride bikes but I'm able to fit 2 large mountain bikes in the back of the Fit. I'd kind of like to get one but a new Yakima or Thule is about $750 which is absurd IMO.
I am piecing a Thule together and am only in it $30 (got the bars from a co worker), $70 (brand new big mouth bike mount on ebay, seller bought 3 in a package deal and I swooped up his extra), $40 (for the fit kit for my eg8). That is only $140 and it is all brand new. Only thing that is missing is the fairing and my buddy at work thinks he might have an oldschool one in a box. We'll see. If not I will go to eBay.

Look around. I have seen them all over the place (eBay, craigslist, etc) for between $150-300 (depending on what comes with them) in great condition . You can pick up new ones on eBay for under $500.

spidersilva

It all comes down to this: Do want you want to do, don't give a f*** or care about what other people have to say period.

Mern

Come at me bro.
Hell, look at VW people they can pull off roof racks on any Jetta and i bet we can to =)

TheEJ8

what does it matter? if they like it who are you to judge? rice is what you make it. imo jdm is the new rice. its all just a bunch of fanboys that all want to look the same. I build my cars and trucks the way I want and really don't give a flying f*** what you or anyone else for that matter thinks. that's the way any build should be. that's my 2 cents.

Here ya go.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm putting a bik rack on my next car....but for hauling skis...

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
I actual do ride bikes but I'm able to fit 2 large mountain bikes in the back of the Fit.
I bike as well. I bmx and when my friends and I go on a road trip to different parks we can fit 3 bikes, all our gear, cameras, tools and 3 people in my civic.

I do want a roof rack just for function so I agree on if you like it, do it.