Body painting questions.

fitbmx1986

speed safely
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well after doing some body work the last few weeks., Filling dents, repairing rusted areas im ready to paint this now. My paint isn;t in bad shape so i was thinking i would just touch up the areas that are bondo now. But i need to know how to do this. Where do i get the paint from and how do i go about doing it? I searched around here but found really no luck so many you guys have some tutorials online you have found or some helpful links. Also places to purchase the matching paint. thanks a bunch.

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
fitbmx1986 said:
well after doing some body work the last few weeks., Filling dents, repairing rusted areas im ready to paint this now. My paint isn;t in bad shape so i was thinking i would just touch up the areas that are bondo now. But i need to know how to do this. Where do i get the paint from and how do i go about doing it? I searched around here but found really no luck so many you guys have some tutorials online you have found or some helpful links. Also places to purchase the matching paint. thanks a bunch.
Get your colour code and go see your dealership. Depending on how big the spots are, they can provide you with a spray can, mind you it's a small can. Mean't more for touch ups. Otherwise, you can go to body shops and they'll actually make the pait using your colour code

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like you should be doing a whole new paint job, not just spots, its not going to match perfectly or blend in great.

blackekhatch

5+ Year Member
stealthy said:
sounds like you should be doing a whole new paint job, not just spots, its not going to match perfectly or blend in great.
pricesly what he said your paint is going to be brand new now youll be bale to tell where you painted... the original paint has already been faded by the sun a little bit and youll for sure be able to tell just spend like 300 on a cheap paint job if thats what your lookin to do.... keep in mind if you do it yourself you need paint, thinner, hardner, a compressor, a spray gun, and somewhere to do it.... so its a lot of work... and it will end up costing you probabaly like 150 for materials.... just lettin you know peace!

fitbmx1986

speed safely
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
allright sounds good, well im probably going to just do it myself then, so with that said anyone have some good links or info on how to do it yourself? i saw the cheap 50 dollars paint job thing with the roller but i'd like to use a spray gun, so if anyone can help i'd appreciate it!! thanks.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you've never sprayed before and you are attemping it on your car? goodluck with that, ESPECIALLY when you get to the clear.....reading on the internet isnt gonna help much in this department

fitbmx1986

speed safely
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well im sure i will test it out on something and make sure i get it right before i move onto my car, hey im all about learning stuff so you gotta start somewhere.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
painting is really tough dude, just so you know. and clear coat is REALLY picky

AllShowNoGo9

5+ Year Member
I'd have to agree with the above statement. Painting cars isn't like cooking a TV dinner, there aren't any directions you can read and then BAM you know what you're doing. It took me 3 months of theory and practicing on test panels before I EVER put a paint gun anywhere NEAR a real car. BUT for some tips...make sure you keep your gun distance consistent and parallel to the vehicle. What color are you dealing with? Because certain colors have to be sprayed with certain techniques.

fitbmx1986

speed safely
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
probably going to just re-do my oem black granda pearl since i can't figure out what i want.. and trust me man i know im not going to find out everything by reading but im trying to find out as much as i can to avoid problems when i start thats all.

question though.. now since i've been doing the body work i still obviously have all my original paint in the other areas. With body preping before i paint do i need to completely sand down it to bare metal? or can i just sand down to the primer area and then smooth it all out with the dif levels of sand paper, and what should i be ending with before i put on primer around a 2000 grit? Next week i plan on purchasing all my paint, guns, compressor, and extra stuff so i need to know how to go about doing this. I have a decent sized 2 car garage that just has junk in it so im going to clean it all out and put up some tarps and seal it off as much as i can, and then what should i probably add some fans to blow out of the area to avoid bad fumes while painting? thanks again for any help im going to keep looking all over the net for more step by step details for me.