Bought a confusing car. Need some help

newtothisstuff

The Rundown: I purchased my 98 coupe from a mechanic and close friends with limited info long story I dont want to go into
It has been swapped with a D16y7 of unknown year (runs like a top) the Intake manifold I believe to be a Y8 from what I can tell (its the side inlet) Non Vtec motor though it has the Vtec ecu in it which I think is causing my trans issues (another thread will be posted because I am lost af on ECU) the temp sensor has a jumper wire to keep the fan on. idk why, didnt futz with it. Short ram installed. Grounding kit as well since there is a nice system in it. It needs shift solenoids, have em just need to install em. How on earth to I determine what parts are what and what years so I can start modifieng, and getting this thing tuned in correctly. I do have the non vtec ecu out of a 1996. Small questions like should I put the timing covers back on. Can I run headers and delete the cat or do I have to buy a exhaust manifold with cat which is ridiculously expensive. And plenty plenty more.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The Rundown: I purchased my 98 coupe
It has been swapped with a D16y7 of unknown year (runs like a top)
Motor used from 96-00 Civic Cx/Dx/Lx models.

the temp sensor has a jumper wire to keep the fan on. idk why
Because something is wrong with the thermostat, instead of coming on at a certain temp, they rigged the fan to run all the time.

I do have the non vtec ecu out of a 1996. Small questions like should I put the timing covers back on.
Put that ECU back in since the motor is non vtec.
I would put the belt covers back on.

Can I run headers and delete the cat or do I have to buy a exhaust manifold with cat which is ridiculously expensive. And plenty plenty more.
You can run a HEADER, but you will have to relocate the cat converter farther down the line.

alex98

Any chance this is a y7 block with a y8 head? Hence the y8 ECU already in there .