Bought a Junker 95 ex sedan, need advise/technical knowledge

Robman3291

Hi guys i'm new, I just bought a 1995 Civic EX Sedan for $200. It's a complete rebuild as everything is covered in mold or milky oil. Fun fun

So i'm not building anything super fun yet, I am currently going to a for profit college (they charge triple and leave me broke) and my internships are in multipule locations so far the closest one has been just shy of 250 miles away. I know enough about me what about the car!

So Things I need to get done:

The dash seems okay, no cracks most importantly no mold.
Interior: All of the interior seats carpet headliner seat belts and yes even the steering wheel have mass amounts of mold on it.

Exterior is in surprisingly good shape except for a drivers side fender, the hood is hot trash and all the plastic parts between the front door and rear door windows is broken and trash, it also has 3 matching rims and 1 rando.

Engine, D16z6 obviously has a blown head gasket wont know more until I pull it off, planned for later today, Everything seems complete

Suspension: It's obviously stock and probably hot trash

Things I need help with:

Rear Seats, I took a trip to my local Junk yard and found a 1996 LS Integra 4 DR, I know basically everything will fit from it. My main question is, are the Integra rear seats the only ones that will fit? I found I believe it was an Acura TL or RL 2010ish and I measured them and they have almost the exact same dimensions. wondering if anyone knows of or has tried this. Also whats a decent price on those LS rear seats I feel like the yard was being super dickish about them

Front Seats: I'm a big dude 250 6ft because this car is going to be used for long ass travel days whats the most comfortable stock seats that will fit in here. I have had a few hondas before and those LS integra front seats where pretty kush had decent side bolster support, wanted info on if someone had some stock honda seats that fit decently and where super comfy.

Carpet: I know cut my own or gut it, I't just not my thing. Anyone know of a place that does stock replica carpets on the cheap?

Engine: As mentioned before blown head, So since i'm taking the head off and replacing the gasket I figure might as well do water pump and oil pump. anyone know of a decent kit? I know OEM yada yada but remember broke AF college student, rebuilding this car just to save gas money, my other car is Amy Schumer at an all you can drink wine fest. it isn't pretty. So if you know of a cheap kit that comes with head gasket water pump oil pump and tensioner also would be supper awesome if it came with head studs I would love to know your recommendations.

Exterior: Is there a decent or cheap replacement that you guys know of for those stupid plastic parts between the windows on this sedan, The junk yard wanted a ton for them for over 20 yr old plastic.

Best place to get cheap door seals and trunk seal?

last but not least if anyone has cleaned out the drain holes on this year civic, what did you use to clean them out? Pictures to come im just stuck at work.

hear7161

I am in kinda the same situation as you lol, my aunt gave me her 1995 sedan dx auto and I’m for sure swapping out the tranny to manual just gonna take time to make the car a beauty=) good luck man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes, we get it"you're broke", that seems to be par for the course.
BUT, don't cheap out, do it once, do it right, especially for engine items.
If you needed a more reliable car, you should have bought something that didn't need so much work.
It's funny how people buy these sub $500 cars, give a laundry list of things it needs, then say, "I'm broke", but in the end, spend just as much, if not more getting their car up to standard.

You're going to spend close to as much on this thing (to do it right and have it look decent and run reliably) as you would have if you had found something a little more put together.
Not only mechanical wise, but the mold is no joke and should be taken care of.
SO at one point or another the car has a moisture problem for sure.

With all that said....

Things I need help with:

Rear Seats, I took a trip to my local Junk yard and found a 1996 LS Integra 4 DR, I know basically everything will fit from it. My main question is, are the Integra rear seats the only ones that will fit? I found I believe it was an Acura TL or RL 2010ish and I measured them and they have almost the exact same dimensions. wondering if anyone knows of or has tried this. Also whats a decent price on those LS rear seats I feel like the yard was being super dickish about them

Front Seats: I'm a big dude 250 6ft because this car is going to be used for long ass travel days whats the most comfortable stock seats that will fit in here. I have had a few hondas before and those LS integra front seats where pretty kush had decent side bolster support, wanted info on if someone had some stock honda seats that fit decently and where super comfy.
Front seats from the Integra will fit, you may have to swap the Civic rails on though.
4dr Integra rear seats should fit your sedan too.
Forget the TL and RL, different chassis, will not bolt up.

Carpet: I know cut my own or gut it, I't just not my thing. Anyone know of a place that does stock replica carpets on the cheap?
Order one from a reputable seller, such as 1A auto on eBay.

Engine: As mentioned before blown head, So since i'm taking the head off and replacing the gasket I figure might as well do water pump and oil pump. anyone know of a decent kit? I know OEM yada yada but remember broke AF college student, rebuilding this car just to save gas money
Don't cheap out on stuff like this, buy quality parts, buy OEM.
Nothing worse than buying off brand stuff, having it fail, then having to buy more parts and do it all over again.

Exterior: Is there a decent or cheap replacement that you guys know of for those stupid plastic parts between the windows on this sedan, The junk yard wanted a ton for them for over 20 yr old plastic.
Buy them, but only if they can get them off and not damage them. OEM ones from Honda are discontinued.

Best place to get cheap door seals and trunk seal?
Find them on eBay, tons of them on there or find what you need from a junkyard.

last but not least if anyone has cleaned out the drain holes on this year civic, what did you use to clean them out? Pictures to come im just stuck at work.
You need to be more specific, the drains for the sunroof?

Overall, exterior wise, it's not a bad looking car, take your time and do things right so that the car will run and drive reliably for you.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I am currently going to a for profit college (they charge triple and leave me broke)
That's your first mistake but you make Betsy DeVos proud

Robman3291

Yes, we get it"you're broke", that seems to be par for the course.
BUT, don't cheap out, do it once, do it right, especially for engine items.
If you needed a more reliable car, you should have bought something that didn't need so much work.
It's funny how people buy these sub $500 cars, give a laundry list of things it needs, then say, "I'm broke", but in the end, spend just as much, if not more getting their car up to standard.

You're going to spend close to as much on this thing (to do it right and have it look decent and run reliably) as you would have if you had found something a little more put together.
Not only mechanical wise, but the mold is no joke and should be taken care of.
SO at one point or another the car has a moisture problem for sure.

With all that said....

Front seats from the Integra will fit, you may have to swap the Civic rails on though.
4dr Integra rear seats should fit your sedan too.
Forget the TL and RL, different chassis, will not bolt up.

Order one from a reputable seller, such as 1A auto on eBay.

Don't cheap out on stuff like this, buy quality parts, buy OEM.
Nothing worse than buying off brand stuff, having it fail, then having to buy more parts and do it all over again.

Buy them, but only if they can get them off and not damage them. OEM ones from Honda are discontinued.

Find them on eBay, tons of them on there or find what you need from a junkyard.

You need to be more specific, the drains for the sunroof?

Overall, exterior wise, it's not a bad looking car, take your time and do things right so that the car will run and drive reliably for you.
Sorry the sunroof drain holes, sorry

Robman3291

I was thinking with aftermarket parts maybe it was like with timing belts there is only like 4 timing belt manufacturers you can go to a dealership or online and pay a lot for a timing belt that has plastic branding with a Nissan or Honda logo, or you can get a non branded gates belt and it's 100% the same thing

Robman3291

All i did was type in "1995 Civic sunroof drain".
Again thank you for the help, I had also found that video earlier, but it looked to me like that was a 318 bmw and not a Civic. I'm sure it translates over just fine, was just wanting to ask someone who had actual experience with doing it on this specific vehicle

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Again thank you for the help, I had also found that video earlier, but it looked to me like that was a 318 bmw and not a Civic
I realize that, but the process is the same.
I've had to do this with a Crx.

Robman3291

So now is where I sit
IMG_20190320_173630994.jpg
IMG_20190320_173630994.jpg
IMG_20190320_173701278.jpg

Just got the head back from the machine shop
IMG_20190320_173808020.jpg
I'm hoping to have her back together and running this weekend. Wish me luck.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Looking much better! Keep us posted and good luck with the rest of the build! :thumbs up

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks MUCH better!
What did you end up doing, buying other seats and carpet or clean everything up?

Robman3291

Looks MUCH better!
What did you end up doing, buying other seats and carpet or clean everything up?
I cleaned it. Got everything soaked and then lathered everything up with about 4 bottles of dawn liquid soap. Then ran about 500 gallons of water through a pressure washer. I'm pretty impressed with how it all came out