Bought a lowered honda, living hell.

b r i t t

Hello im new here and ive been searching on the internet for a few hours on how to solve my problem. If this is the wrong thread I apologize.

I have a 2000 honda civic ex that is lowered (no idea how low) and a aftermarket exhaust system installed.

I understand its normal for a lowered car to scrape, but this is ridiculous, its like an adventure everytime you drive, its a habit for me to turn around when i see a mountain of a speed bump, hell even the little ones make me nervous.

Could i just replace my headers with a stock and keep the rest aftermarket or what.. exhaust itself seems pretty big.

Ill post pictures later.

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If the suspension is adjustable (ie. coilovers) you can simply raise it up. However, if the suspension is just new springs/cut OEM ones (god forbid) then you have to get new ones.

For the exhaust, it all depends on preference. You can get an OEM system and have it be quieter and less of a hassle driving around.

Either way, definitely post some pictures when you can.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Post some pictures of the drop, exhaust clearance and possibly the suspension before anything. Not having a clue how low you really are or what equipment is installed really doesnt allow for accurate advice, although Dominicks advice is universally accurate. If the exhaust is hanging correctly then the suspension is the only issue. Have you bounce tested above each wheel to see if perhaps the struts are just blown?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Those are ground control sleeves (eibach logo is visible in 3 of the pictures) and what looks to be tokico blues. Very popular set up (although most pair them with Koni iirc). The problem lies in the exhaust. I would go to a shorter header or go back to a stock set up from the muffler forward. At the least have an exhaust shop cut the pipe at the junction right after the hfc and rotate it so it is flat on the bottom.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good eye, lethal6. I couldnt distinguish that while in mobile view.

b r i t t

Now I fixed my exhaust I think one of my struts went out or shock I don't know, it fails the bounce test on one side and makes everything that my back tire hits sound huge.
Which one could have failed?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
If Im not mistaken, those are eBay no-brand imitations of Function & Form coilovers on Tokico struts. The exhaust definitely doesnt look original or OEM-ish because it looks to be hanging too low. If the struts are still good, installing quality brand springs or coilovers may do the job alone.
Those look like the old school Ground Control coilovers.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Now I fixed my exhaust I think one of my struts went out or shock I don't know, it fails the bounce test on one side and makes everything that my back tire hits sound huge.
Which one could have failed?
if it failed the bounce test its a good and high indication that the struts are blown and need replacing

If Im not mistaken, those are eBay no-brand imitations of Function & Form coilovers on Tokico struts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-00-Honda-Civic-EK-EM-Lowering-Coilovers-Sleeves-Adjustable-Red-Springs-Gold-/171926419500?fits=Model:Civic&hash=item28079cf82c:g:0HkAAOxy87tSFo8p&vxp=mtr

The exhaust definitely doesnt look original or OEM-ish because it looks to be hanging too low. If the struts are still good, installing quality brand springs or coilovers may do the job alone.
i used to have same one ground control pared with KYB agx struts.. but i got rid of them long ago and went with black works SS coilovers

Last edited by a moderator:

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Let's bring it all together in one post. Your coilover sleeves ARE adjustable, but from the pictures it looks like they are basically all the way up. Also, I'd go to a muffler shop and ask them if they can tuck your exhaust up if possible, if not check the brand of your headers, if they are no name they are eBay. I'd suggest either getting new headers that fit better (I have Megan 4-2-1 and they fit pretty good). Unless you want to go back to all stock exhaust, which will be the best set up to not scrape around everywhere.
My car is pretty low, and scraping is a daily thing. At your ride height you shouldn't have many problems at all actually, just over parking speed bumps.