BOV, Wastegate

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok so im gonna give ya guys a test lol, whats the difference between a BOV and a wastegate, first one to get the correct answer gets a big THUMBS up haha,

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
thats the hardest thing you can come up with, jeez. bov vents pressureized air in the intake tube when the throttle plate is snapped shut to prevent the pressure wave of compressed air to shoot back down the intake tube and cause compressor surge, hurting the turbo. the wastegate is on the exhaust side of the turbo system, either internal or external of the turbo. it is used to regulate the amount of exhaust gas that is forced around the turbine of the turbo, in effect limiting the speed of the compressor wheel, limiting boost.

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HAHA that was just a starter lol, theyll get harder, so heres your THUMBS UP....and hey azz get online

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
blah heres another easy one....do only turbos need them or do s/c and roots blowers need them aswell....?? haha its late and im tired so this is as good as they get for tonite lol

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the jrsc does not, it has a bypass system built into it. the vortech doesnt require it, but it doesnt hurt to have one. the vortech builds boost directly with rpm, so when you shift and change rpm, boost does the same, so there is far less build up presure than with a turbo. but there still is a pressure wave, and if you use the upgraded pulley that wave can get large enough to do some damage to the s/c.

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
um....... it sounds like he just needs some questions answered and is hiding them behind the guise of an impromptu trivia.........

and if it's not, then ask a real question...........

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by Team 4R
um....... it sounds like he just needs some questions answered and is hiding them behind the guise of an impromptu trivia.........

and if it's not, then ask a real question...........

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i was thinking the same thing.

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here's some trivia, Does he actually KNOW the answers to these?

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
heres the answer YES i do haha, i was just bored last night and started posting, so yes i do know the answer, so haha if you dont think i do then ask me some questions and ill give you the answer....and just to say that roots blowers dont need them, but as handlebarsfsr says they do have a built in one, at low rpm the the air redirect so it doesnt get compressed, then a a certain rpm, depending on kit, the air gets compressed and blown inot motor, and also you can have BOV on the exhuast side, it doesnt have ot be just on the intake side....

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No blow off valves on the exhaust side. The exhaust side gets a wastegate, for turbo applications, and superchargers don't need wastegates since they are run off the crank and not the exhaust.
Did you mean cutouts?

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok then turbo zinc then why does spark racing sell turbo exhuast manifolds with a place on teh manifold for a BOV????id give ya a link, but there site is currently down....and no jrsc do use wastegates.....

silverctr

Whaddaya lookin' at?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by BioHazard
ok then turbo zinc then why does spark racing sell turbo exhuast manifolds with a place on teh manifold for a BOV????id give ya a link, but there site is currently down....and no jrsc do use wastegates.....
If it's like a curved piece of pipe coming off the manifold, that's for an external wastegate.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
silverctr is right on the money, that manifold is meant to be used for a turbo with an external wastegate. the "closed" type mannis only work with turbos that have an internal wastegate