brake/clutch problem

stevelobo

Both the clutch and the brakes are not working properly at all on my 5 speed 97 civic cx... When I turn the car on, I am unable to put the car into gear unless I pump the clutch a few times... The brales are doing the same thing which makes me think that possibly I need to bleed my brakes/ clutch??? ... I checked the reservoirs and they were pretty low, so I put a little bit of dot 3 in and no luck..basically-my brakes and my clutch have no pressure when I push down on them..I have to pump my clutch/brakes if I expect to feel therm at all..... Sorry if this post is confusing. Any ideas as to what might be the issue??.. Any advice would be appreciated

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
like you said, try bleeding both of them

stevelobo

bled the clutch quite a few times with the help of a good friend, and now the car runs great..even better than before i think?? clutch seems to grab a little sooner than before this problem occured.. dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing, but ill take it..the brakes are still a bit low on pressure so im gonna go ahead and bleed them tommorow

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Check both the brake and clutch cylinders for leaks, try to follow the lines to find the leak. That fluid is not suppose to disappear, its leaking out somewhere probably.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check both the brake and clutch cylinders for leaks, try to follow the lines to find the leak. That fluid is not suppose to disappear, its leaking out somewhere probably.
x2

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The clutch fluid is most likely leaking at the master cylinder right by the firewall. Unfortunately for the brakes, they could be leaking anywhere.

Most people don't know that even just looking at your fluids regularly can save possible problems in the future. Catch problems early and you can save a lot of time and money. I usually check my oil every couple weeks and while the hood is open, I take a quick look at everything. Vacuum lines, fluids, connections, etc.