Brake lights stay on

#1CivicGuy

5+ Year Member
When I turn my car off the brake lights stay on. The light switch on the inside of the car is turned off but they remain on as if i were braking. Guys help me on this one.

sf22189

names Brenton
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
brake switch is stuck? its located by the pedal. not sure how to fix it

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Welcome to Honda! lol ... This is eventually going to happen to any Honda, happened to mine a couple years ago.

There is a plastic piece on the Brake Pedal that controls the Circuit for the Brake Lights. The plastic piece presses in a button (Brake Switch) and turns off the Brake Lights, however, without it there the Brake Lights stay constantly on since no pressure is on the switch (holding it down).

In your case, this plastic piece broke off, look around your driver side floor and you will see it. Honda was smart enough to make these parts out of plastic instead of metal.

Easy fix though, just stick a Bolt with Nut in place of where the plastic piece goes (small hole you see in the Brake Pedal, right in front of the Brake Switch) that is long enough to push the button down when you are not pressing the Brake Pedal. If you do this, then you will never have to worry about it again, because it wont break. If you replace it with another plastic piece it may break in the future.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Maybe just a simple adjustment of where the off position would be (closer to the pedal)? :what:

#1CivicGuy

5+ Year Member
Welcome to Honda! lol ... This is eventually going to happen to any Honda, happened to mine a couple years ago.

There is a plastic piece on the Brake Pedal that controls the Circuit for the Brake Lights. The plastic piece presses in a button (Brake Switch) and turns off the Brake Lights, however, without it there the Brake Lights stay constantly on since no pressure is on the switch (holding it down).

In your case, this plastic piece broke off, look around your driver side floor and you will see it. Honda was smart enough to make these parts out of plastic instead of metal.

Easy fix though, just stick a Bolt with Nut in place of where the plastic piece goes (small hole you see in the Brake Pedal, right in front of the Brake Switch) that is long enough to push the button down when you are not pressing the Brake Pedal. If you do this, then you will never have to worry about it again, because it wont break. If you replace it with another plastic piece it may break in the future.
Now that i think about there was a random plastic piece in my car. Wat size bolt would I use to put in the hole?

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ Yep, that is the piece that goes there.

I believe I used a 10mm Bolt w/ Nut that was long enough to push the button down when the brake pedal is not pressed. I just searched my tool box until I found one, didnt really go buy one or anything.

#1CivicGuy

5+ Year Member
ok i fixed that problem =) but now my radio has completely shut off. Any suggestions on what could have happened?

Midnight_EG

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok i fixed that problem =) but now my radio has completely shut off. Any suggestions on what could have happened?
Yeah you turned off the radio :L

On a smarter note you might have frayed a cable, pull out the radio and check the wiring.

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Glad to see that you were able to fix it following what I mentioned.

As for the Radio not working now, I would start by the Fuse as already suggested. You didnt mess with anything electrical to fix the Brake Light/Pedal issue, so doing that was not the cause of it. It's pure coincidence, unless of course you messed with wiring for some reason which you shouldn't have.

Keep us posted if the Fuse is good or bad. Make sure that its still connected behind and it has not become unplugged.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont forget to check the fuse on the back of the radio while your at it. (and of course check for screwed up wires while its out)

#1CivicGuy

5+ Year Member
OK the fuse in the car is good but how would I go about taking out an aftermarket radio (Pioneer)?

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ Same way you install/remove an OEM Radio, there's not much to it. What Year & Model Civic do you have?

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OK the fuse in the car is good but how would I go about taking out an aftermarket radio (Pioneer)?
you need the little thin flat pieces of metal (cant remember what they are called) things to pull it out. if you dont have them you can do it the way i have to. take the section right below the stereo off (4 screws) and then take your face plate off and the trim plate. then take a couple zip ties and push them in the holes where the metal pieces would have gone. push them in until you hear a click and then reach underneath (where you removed that panel) and push the radio out. its a pain in the ass but it works.

Midnight_EG

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you need the little thin flat pieces of metal (cant remember what they are called) things to pull it out. if you dont have them you can do it the way i have to. take the section right below the stereo off (4 screws) and then take your face plate off and the trim plate. then take a couple zip ties and push them in the holes where the metal pieces would have gone. push them in until you hear a click and then reach underneath (where you removed that panel) and push the radio out. its a pain in the ass but it works.
Called radio pins :P how original, you can pick up a set in any halfords store if you guys have that over there, they fit many car makes and so should fit your :]

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Called radio pins :P how original, you can pick up a set in any halfords store if you guys have that over there, they fit many car makes and so should fit your :]
hes got a pioneer so the ones for the factory head unit probably wont work.

you can get them from pioneer directly or make some if you have some time and patients with a dremel and sheet metal. of course zip ties work as well.

Midnight_EG

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hes got a pioneer so the ones for the factory head unit probably wont work.

you can get them from pioneer directly or make some if you have some time and patients with a dremel and sheet metal. of course zip ties work as well.
So I see now sorry :]

Cable ties are the best option, or else get a couple coat hangers and bend em.