Brake lines and abs please Help me I'm at my wits end

Sisuperfly

I have an American Honda Civic 2001 si and I'm living in the Vancouver area BC , Canada. I had to replace the brake lines on a vehicle I acquired from out of province and I've run into a snag with the brakes. I replaced the booster with a newer used booster, the master cylinder with a new one,all the brake lines and pro portioning valve used but great shape, front calipers and pads the rear drums and shoes all new and couldn't get my pedal back , made sure my booster to master cylinder was set proper, still no brakes so I went and got a newer used abs unit. He told me at the used place I would have to bring it to Honda to get my abs activated , is this correct or is there a way around this? Thanks in advance I really need my car on the road as I have a disability and can't walk very far.

alex98

You don't mention it, but did you bleed the brakes after installing all of those parts?

MTec007

It has to be bled by a mechanic with a fancy scan tool because of the abs. No way around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sisuperfly

Sorry my phone was screwing up. If I put 12 volts to the abs pump to cycle it would that not work?

MTec007

Is it worth damaging electronics to test that theory?

Sisuperfly

Is it worth damaging electronics to test that theory?

I think it would , if I screw it up I can go to the junk yard and get a new pro portioning valve and rip out the abs so I never have to deal with this again. And those scan tools rant that fancy . It just has to be a bi-directional abs/obd2 code reader. I bought one but when I went to update it it screwed up so I had to send it back. In the mean time I found out this whole time I had put my calliper son the wrong side so the bleeder was at the bottom, I switched that now I just have to bleed them again and hopefully I get some peddle so I can go stomp on the brakes with one side of the car on the shoulder and get the pump activated that way. I'm a firm believer in do it yourself even if I get it wrong the first time I learn something

Sisuperfly

I think it would , if I screw it up I can go to the junk yard and get a new pro portioning valve and rip out the abs so I never have to deal with this again. And those scan tools rant that fancy . It just has to be a bi-directional abs/obd2 code reader. I bought one but when I went to update it it screwed up so I had to send it back. In the mean time I found out this whole time I had put my calliper son the wrong side so the bleeder was at the bottom, I switched that now I just have to bleed them again and hopefully I get some peddle so I can go stomp on the brakes with one side of the car on the shoulder and get the pump activated that way. I'm a firm believer in do it yourself even if I get it wrong the first time I learn something
Well I learnt something, I learned that you don’t have to take your Honda to the dealer to rejuvenate a abs system, malarkey that is. I also learned to be very careful as to whom you believe when getting advice in a forum. What I also is that it’s possible to put your calipers on the wrong side and that was the problem the whole time because the bleeder screws were at the bottom when they should be on top. Makes total sense, problem solved by watching the right you tube video. Thanks all for your efforts though

MTec007

Wow, Learn something new everyday. I’m glad you were able to figure it out!