Brake pads wont fit

Futuwwa

5+ Year Member
I own a 94 civic ex with no abs on em....recently bought new brake pads for my car and once i took the old ones out i noticed they were smaller compare to the ones i bought new. Looks to me that the previous owner of the car installed DX brake pads. Now the retainers i bought em brand new because the ones it had were all out shape pretty much bended. Now new brake pads wont fit even with the old retainers..only way they will fit on the caliper bracket is if i dont put the retainers...which they barely fit when i tried it. Can it be i have the wrong caliper bracket for my civic?

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Easiest solution is to take your old brake pads to the autmotive store and ask them. Let them compare it for you.

Futuwwa

5+ Year Member
i did to almost 6 different automotive stores....all didnt knew why the brake pads were small and then suggested that my brakes were "import" ....until i came to one guy that actually knew about hondas and showed me that they were DX pads.

MikeyCivic

5+ Year Member
I have a 94 lsi hatch with no abs. I bought brake pads a couple weeks back and the ones I got from them were too big, so I took them back and apparently something changed from the end of the '94's to the 95, mine was the later one. 2nd time they fitted perfectly.

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
MikeyCivic said:
I have a 94 lsi hatch with no abs. I bought brake pads a couple weeks back and the ones I got from them were too big, so I took them back and apparently something changed from the end of the '94's to the 95, mine was the later one. 2nd time they fitted perfectly.
That's because all cars manufactured after September are next year (I think it's Sept). So if your car rolled off the assembly line in Sept of 94, all the parts for it are 95 parts. ;)

Slick_99

RIP 99'
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Be glad, my buddy had a 95 EX and his right front caliber was from a Del Sol. Go figure that.

weksos

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did they force or modify the DX pads to work? That just sounds dangerous.

The Coupe EX and Coupe DX are different as well as the Coupe EX w/ ABS.

Futuwwa

5+ Year Member
heh you be suprised how they are setup...is almost genious if not dangerous as well..well went to autozone and asked about the brake pads for 94 and 95 but they pretty much told me its the same brake pads....im almost coming down to conclusion to sand off the deges of the brake pads just to fit em in.(ill get pictures later on of my current brake pads)

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If worse comes to worse, go to Honda. Bring the old pads with you of course.

Futuwwa

5+ Year Member
well couldnt take pictures ...crappy camera. Did took the brake pads and the caliper arm to honda and guy was useless as the autozone guy told me it was a "JDM" item. Anyways went to autozone again and brought caliper arm and brake pads and asked the dumb lady to bring out all the 94 civic brake pads w/o abs. Found out they have mixed in model brake pads in there system for my 94 civic ex and yet the lady had the nerve to say "those belong to your civic" which the LX brake pads were just simply falling out. After all that crap finnaly found the ones that fit , bought some duralast brake pads which were 20 bucks.....morale of the story always bring caliper arm if you have wrong brake pads to find out which ones will fit. Also 90% of guys that work of selling auto parts know s**t.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's why I miss Advance. :( They actually had a clue there. :( Stupid Autozone.

Customer: I'm looking for lifters for a '69 Camaro.
Autozone: Is that for the trunk or the hood...?

Liftters... not lift supports. :roll:

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NOFX said:
Customer: I'm looking for lifters for a '69 Camaro.
Autozone: Is that for the trunk or the hood...?

Liftters... not lift supports. :roll:
:rolf: :lol:

I had to go to Mitsubishi for the pads on our Eclipse.

The guy at AutoZone wanted to argue with me about whether or not there was a V6 Eclipse. He insisted all Eclipses were 4 cylinders. An AutoZone counter monkey also once told me that Saabs were not Swedish, Saabs are European. :suprise: :shock: (apparently Sweden was absorbed by the EU and no longer exists...:what: :lol: ) I was also told by an AutoZone countermonkey that 4 door Civics do not have vtec nor did they ever come with 4 wheel disc brakes. When I showed him the rear discs, vtec solenoid, and the valve cover that said VTEC on my EH9, he insisted that someone had swapped those in from a coupe or a hatch and that that person was stupid because the sedan is too heavy for coupe brakes. (that extra 70 or so lbs really makes a difference so better not carry a child or an Olson twin in your car :lol: )

...and yet I continue to go to AutoJoke. :smackself: I just assume that the countermonkey is a retard and never talk to them when I can avoid it

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Futuwwa said:
Also 90% of guys that work of selling auto parts know s**t.
Not always thier fault. They mostly go by OEM stock parts, so you can't rely on them to know anything specific about your custom specific car.

Futuwwa

5+ Year Member
SiGSR said:
Not always thier fault. They mostly go by OEM stock parts, so you can't rely on them to know anything specific about your custom specific car.
errr...my car is stock? was never modified to begin with ...so it is their fault if they dont even know how brake pads FIT IN THE FIRST PLACE! , heck i didnt even know how they fit in, but you would at least think the people that sells auto parts would know. Only way i found out was by one guy that actually knew about hondas and then finding out that autozone has their inventory of brake pads mixed in with different models for my specific oem 94 honda civic ex.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Futuwwa said:
errr...my car is stock? was never modified to begin with ...so it is their fault if they dont even know how brake pads FIT IN THE FIRST PLACE! , heck i didnt even know how they fit in, but you would at least think the people that sells auto parts would know. Only way i found out was by one guy that actually knew about hondas and then finding out that autozone has their inventory of brake pads mixed in with different models for my specific oem 94 honda civic ex.
Actually... it's still not always their fault. No one is going to know all that info on all those different makes and models. So they use computers. Unfortunately often the computer databases are incorrect. I know that not all chains have ways of automatically reporting incorrect listings too (meaning they have to call all of them in instead - which rarely will happen).

Blame it on the company, not the individuals. You're lucky you got someone who even knew about Hondas there.