Brakes acting a weird?

Steven5210

5+ Year Member
Well I first experienced this when I was driving on the freeway when the guy in front of me suddenly came to a complete stop when we were going about like 70mph. I wasn't tailgating or anything, but still going at 70mph I didn't realize he was going to stop so sudden and I stepped on the brakes kinda hard and then they started bouncing. The brake pedal bounced or like went up and down and also the sound came along with it. I don't know if something is wrong with my brakes or not but it still happens every once in a while even when I don't brake hard.
My friend said it's the ABS, I'm not sure so just checking

Sion0x

Off to college!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its the ABS. it bounces up and down so the wheels don't lock. if it didn't have abs, you'd just floor the brake pedal and go into a skid.

DuH-ReL

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's ABS buddy. Pretty trippy huh? I used to drive a non-ABS 1993 Si and I would skid when slamming the brakes. But with ABS, it prevents you from skidding, but allows you to control the direction of the car during hard braking.

Steven5210

5+ Year Member
ahah yea, i mean it jumps pretty weird, its so strong u kno it pushes my foot up ahha wow these abs are pretty strong becuz this doesnt happen on my moms camry even when I brake hard.

jcmrules

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had never driven a abs car before and I was weirded out the first time it did that it bounces so your s**t dont lock up. If you are breaking whatch out for bumps when you go over bumps it will jerk the pedal too.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It bounces because it's locking up. When the wheel speed sensor reads the wheel lock it relieves the brake fluid pressure to the wheel affected and allows it to turn

Without ABS the wheel would have locked and you would not be able to steer.

The hardest part is getting used to ABS. You'll feel the pedal feedback and want to lift your foot off.
Don't. Keep your foot in it and concentrate on steering to avoid the accident. That's the beauty of ABS. You don't have to know how to use it. Just squash the hell outta' the pedal.

Thresh-hold braking only works in a straight line on dry clean pavement so any argument that you can stop faster by "thresh-hold braking" is specious at best.

Straight line? threshold braking will win
Brake hard and steer to avoid object at same time? ABS wins
Mid-corner late brake? ABS again.

The advantages far out weigh the one instance where it is a disadvantage.

jcmrules

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I back of a little because abs components are expensive to fix when they break and that is one of my fears about abs I rather have power brakes that is more efficant than abs.

TheCrazy1

i-VTEC addict
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
It bounces because it's locking up. When the wheel speed sensor reads the wheel lock it relieves the brake fluid pressure to the wheel affected and allows it to turn

The hardest part is getting used to ABS. You'll feel the pedal feedback and want to lift your foot off.
Don't. Keep your foot in it and concentrate on steering to avoid the accident. That's the beauty of ABS. You don't have to know how to use it. Just squash the hell outta' the pedal.

Thresh-hold braking only works in a straight line on dry clean pavement so any argument that you can stop faster by "thresh-hold braking" is specious at best.

Mid-corner late braking with ABS FTW!!

DuH-ReL

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:

Great points. Most people don't know that you have to keep the pedal depressed for ABS to be advantageous in emergency avoidance situations. I've always liked the feel of non-ABS though. :roll:

Ian01ex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sounds like my moms car is having this problem but she is telling me its when she is pushing on it regular. I just replaced the front brakes for her and I am gonna bleed the brakes this week. Anything else that could be done to help her over active abs?

Dough

5+ Year Member
my 6th gen civic doesnt have abs, when i jump on the brakes even doing 40 mph, it skids in a straight line. I have never tried turning while braking. If you need to stop in a straight line its quick as hell... although i am sure it isnt doing much for my tires :(

rei

jSolo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yep ABS feels weird.. but its a nice feature when its needed..

Ian01ex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well it turns out it was a complete bleeding of the breaks if anyone is interested. Solved the problem of the grab and slip under normal breaking.