broken cable for hood release hood locked

landt222

My hood is locked on my 02 civic lx. How can I get this hood open without the cable? I have tried the coat hanger through the grill and can't hook the latch. Please help. Any ideas? Thanks

UMADBRO?

Like did the whole cable come out? or just where the handle is at?

landt222

No. I pulled the handle and the hood did not pop. The handle is still attached to the cable but is pulled all the way out and stuck in the open position. Please help, I have to get it open soon. Thanks

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sure someone didn't try to break into your car? The hood cable runs under the driver side fender and is easy to cut, then they pull the hood release with pliers. I've had someone try it on my car but my alarm stopped them. Now I have my cable run inside the engine bay out of reach. I heck the entire cable.

If not, well you can try just what I explained. Cut it yourself from under the fender and get pliers and pop it open that way.

landt222

The cable is detached at the latch not at the handle. I was going to remove the latch from underneath, but can't get at the two top bolts. I am screwed. Any more ideas? Thanks

landt222

So, I ended up detaching the hinges and lifting the hood from the back. I had to reach in with my sawzall and cut the loop on the hood. Not what I really had planned to do, but had no choice. The spring had fallen out of the latch and even hooking it with a coat hanger or pushing it with a screwdriver, would not have worked. I am going to replace the latch and have the loop welded back on to the hood. I hope nobody has this problem, but thought I would share.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this happened to me once. i ended up breaking through my front grill and unlatching it that way.