Broken timing belt - Engine runs rough

96-el-x

I drove my civic for over a year with a noisy water pump bearing. One day last summer the timing belt broke going slowly through the parking lot. Bolted up a new pump, pulley, tensioner, new valve cover gasket, plug gaskets. The engine runs poorly at idle, misfires, engine light flashes, once rolling on the highway it smooths out. At stoplights the engine bucks so much that the whole car shakes like it has a race cam. I put the auto trans in neutral and it doesn't shake as much. More facts about this car: Water had been leaking from the water pump for nearly two years prior to the belt breaking, I just poured distilled water into it constantly. I smell coolant still after the new OEM pump, belt, but the coolant level stays the same. ALSO, for nearly 3 years the car has needed a new catalytic converter, light is always on. My goal is to keep driving it.

There is a loud ticking sound, I'm assuming a bent valve. I've been driving it for 6 months like this, it keeps going. My question is should I just bolt up a new cylinder head?

96-el-x

This car keeps going. Parts of the exhaust have fallen off, the ceiling has fallen, the auto trans shifter handle has been removed so the car can be started/placed in neutral, rust is appearing around the wheel wells, the original CIVIC plastic logo has fallen off as well the trunk "H".

I've done nothing since the 2017 timing belt and water pump aside from two oil changes. It's been overheated in the past as I mentioned in the previous post and in winter 2017 I'm pretty sure the radiator was empty for two months or more.

It's getting louder and louder, I hope it keeps going. The muffler should fall off soon, I'll be back with more frequent updates. A famous used car place says they won't even give me the Max of $300 that they offered two years ago. I really want this car on the road as a symbol of solidarity for poor folks everywhere and hope to get a funding source set up.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So you've neglected maintenance on the car, it's gotten worse and NOW you want to try and fix it?

96-el-x

This car keeps going. Parts of the exhaust have fallen off, the ceiling has fallen, the auto trans shifter handle has been removed so the car can be started/placed in neutral, rust is appearing around the wheel wells, the original CIVIC plastic logo has fallen off as well the trunk "H".

I've done nothing since the 2017 timing belt and water pump aside from two oil changes. It's been overheated in the past as I mentioned in the previous post and in winter 2017 I'm pretty sure the radiator was empty for two months or more.

It's getting louder and louder, I hope it keeps going. The muffler should fall off soon, I'll be back with more frequent updates. A famous used car place says they won't even give me the Max of $300 that they offered two years ago. I really want this car on the road as a symbol of solidarity for poor folks everywhere and hope to get a funding source set up.
I should mention I am looking at swapping in a new engine. New might
So you've neglected maintenance on the car, it's gotten worse and NOW you want to try and fix it?
The timing belt and water pump replacement kept the car on the road during an extended period of unemployment. The belt broke on the slack side and it sounds like an exhaust valve on #1 is making some of the noise. The engine is seriously low on power but doesn't overheat. I have no choice but to swap or do major work at this time.