Build or Turbo my B18B1 EJ1 or swap?

Jdmfan36

Hello brethren. I have a 93 Civic EX Coupe and I currently have a B18B1 block with a B20 head with I/H and straight pipe, both stock head and block, and I've read on some Honda forum threads that building an NA LS non vtec engine isn't worth it unless it's boosted but that hot me wondering.

So my question to you fellas is, since I've got no mechanical experience building an engine, let alone it doesn't seem I have the best engine platform to start in as it is compared to some other engine choices, (B16A2, H22A, etc.) Would you say it would be better if I learn to work on my car by boosting what I have already or just swapping out for something else that's somewhat cheap and easy to install like a closed deck JDM 217hp H22A maybe?

I'm asking this simply because I was originally planning to do an NA build to start off before turbocharging my non vtec LS in the future since I wanted to start smaller and easier by doing cams and injectors and all that jazz, but as stated earlier, I've come across the fact that the B18B1 struggles to get any NA power as the head doesn't flow great along with the fact that I'd be lucky to get closer to 200hp with a built head and porting and polish and such which seems like such a disappointing amount of gains for the work being done. There's that and Turbocharging takes a lot of trial and error and is much more difficult to get done especially if you've never physically done it before even though guys all over YT and such make it seem so easy, quick, and reliable when it isn't always like that (especially if you go with CX Racing kits or such like that to keep it somewhat budget friendly like the eBay guys).

So with that being said, what route you guys think is better to start off with? Money is ok right now but I'm trying to keep the cost of the build under about $4000 - $4500 tops just to be safe. Looking for around 300 - 350 on stock block if turbo and probably about 180hp if it can even reach that NA with fuel upgrades as well. I'm already lowered and getting an actual exhaust system so my car can be much quieter/ sound better than it is and I'm buying a Hondata S300 here soon so I can tune it all but just want to make sure the route that I choose will help me learn but also to make sure all these mods I want to do won't be in vain for whack performance!! Thank you guys as I do humbly appreciate any advice brothers. :headbang:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Money is ok right now but I'm trying to keep the cost of the build under about $4000 - $4500 tops just to be safe. Looking for around 300 - 350 on stock block if turbo and probably about 180hp if it can even reach that NA with fuel upgrades as well.
I don't see those power numbers being reliably reached with that budget.

Jdmfan36

I don't see those power numbers being reliably reached with that budget.
Really? I know Autowerks sells their turbo kit ready to go for 2200 - 2800 bucks depending on which kit you go for with how much you're trying to make. And finding Injectors wasn't too hard to find for a couple hundred bucks as I already also have a stage 2 clutch which I forgot to mention.