bumper re painting question

manu

5+ Year Member
I bought a used oem bumper and am trying to figure out how to get the old paint off ... I think they forgot to add flex when they were painting it cause it is chipping paint. Any liquid solution that i can apply that would strip it to the plastic... or what grit sandpaper should i use....

habitat307

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how bad is it chipping off? is it OEM paint? or has it been repainted? usually on OEM paint, you dont need to take it all off, you just scuff it up.. but i guess if its chipping really bad, you could get some auto paint stripper from an autoparts store. that should take it right off

manu

5+ Year Member
habitat307 said:
how bad is it chipping off? is it OEM paint? or has it been repainted? usually on OEM paint, you dont need to take it all off, you just scuff it up.. but i guess if its chipping really bad, you could get some auto paint stripper from an autoparts store. that should take it right off

i dont know what kind of paint is it... i bought it off ebay.... i plan on repainting it either way....
this stuff wouldnt harm the plastic would it??

habitat307

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mmm.. nah, i dont think paint stripper would hurt the plastic.. just check to make sure its ok for plastic bumpers. but thats only if you want to take all the paint off. if its only chipping a little bit, just sand off all the chipped paint, feather out any rough edges really good and sand/scuff up the rest of the bumper with some 300-400 grit or so (when you do this, it should take off any other loose paint that might chip), then get it sealed/painted

AllShowNoGo9

5+ Year Member
To add to the above post....please make sure you spray the bumper down with an adhesion promoter if you're not going to prime the bumper before painting it. If you decide you are going to prime the bumper and then paint it (like you really should) then make sure you use a flex primer (PPG makes an extremely innovative and high quality plastic flex primer)

habitat307

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah, and i wouldn't suggest using a paint stripper. i tried some last night on my windsheild wiper cowell to get some overspray off and it started eating the plastic. so stay away from that s**t... unless they make some lower strengh stuff.. maybe some acetone.. not sure.

AllShowNoGo9

5+ Year Member
Dry I'd go with 320 to feather everything....pop it on a DA and smooth the whole bumper out

manu

5+ Year Member
AllShowNoGo9 said:
Dry I'd go with 320 to feather everything....pop it on a DA and smooth the whole bumper out
whats a DA?? is this 320 wet or 320 dry... i want to strip the paint to the plastic so i can add flex since i think it is missing.....

AllShowNoGo9

5+ Year Member
a DA is a digital oribital sander...an air sander that would make your life 1000000000000 times easier when it comes to doing autobody work....you can pick a decent one up for like 300....check www.autobodytoolmart.com...and that would be dry sanding.....if you want to strip the paint, best bet is you use a low grade paint stripper and CLOSELY watch it, as soon as the paint bubbles, remove the paint stripper and scrape the paint off.