Buying a 1999 Civic SI (First Car)

LeapHeap

So I'm going to make my first car purchase in about a week or two. I'm buying (as the tittle says) a 1999 Honda Civic SI and I believe there's a VTEC motor in it. Eventually (if I land this car) I will just swap the motor out (Not sure what one to swap it to) and do some modifications to it. I don't have any pictures as of now that I can show you because I have not been able to save them (Found the car on kijiji). It's got like a grayish body with kinda Matte red doors. I think it looks nice but that's because I like the offset. No rust or bubbles. Cars been taking care of but the guy did say it had something difficult about the 3rd gear. I dunno but if it's worth the $1000 then il grab it. There's nothing to do in Guelph but work on cars and work. It's already got an exhaust system in it and it's not too loud but has a nice rumble. Everyone around me is saying "it's your first car don't fall in love with it. Just buy a s**t box and drive it from a to b". yeah well f**k you lol. I wanna love my first car even if it's got a rust hole so big I can climb in the car from outside. Regardless I will be just putting some stuff if in and will be reading all of your tips and comments to learn maybe more about the Car and civics community

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Theres nothing wrong with the dohc b16a2. If thats whats still in it then theres no reason to swap it out.

Post pics especially of the engine bay and vin tag.

LeapHeap

Will do.. I believe that he just put the normal "civic" stuff in. Ie intake exhaust stuff like that

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Will do.. I believe that he just put the normal "civic" stuff in. Ie intake exhaust stuff like that

That s**t doesnt matter.

Check for smoke out of the exhaust on startup and also look at the stamp on the engine.

I would also look for matching vin on the engine and if it doesnt match then ask for paperwork on it.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I'm going to make my first car purchase in about a week or two. I'm buying (as the tittle says) a 1999 Honda Civic SI and I believe there's a VTEC motor in it.
B16A2, as mentioned, is a fine motor to work with.

Eventually (if I land this car) I will just swap the motor out (Not sure what one to swap it to) and do some modifications to it.
If you're not sure what you want, Figure out what you have, figure out what you want, and then figure out if you actually need to swap the motor or not.

Found the car on kijiji. . I dunno but if it's worth the $1000 then il grab it.
Um, what? Isn't that site like, only scams? And $1'000? Sounds kinda shady...

If it's somehow a legit US Spec Si, with a B16A2, it shouldn't cost $1'000. If it's anything like the Canadian spec Si with the D16Y8 (Much like US spec EX model), then $1'000 would be possible, but still a little cheap unless someone is trying to dump it. In which case, look it over carefully, and yea, then I could maybe understand pulling the SOHC if you're looking for more power / torque off the bat from a stock motor.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
B16A2, as mentioned, is a fine motor to work with.

If you're not sure what you want, Figure out what you have, figure out what you want, and then figure out if you actually need to swap the motor or not.

Um, what? Isn't that site like, only scams? And $1'000? Sounds kinda shady...

If it's somehow a legit US Spec Si, with a B16A2, it shouldn't cost $1'000. If it's anything like the Canadian spec Si with the D16Y8 (Much like US spec EX model), then $1'000 would be possible, but still a little cheap unless someone is trying to dump it. In which case, look it over carefully, and yea, then I could maybe understand pulling the SOHC if you're looking for more power / torque off the bat from a stock motor.

I still wouldnt swap it even if its a y8 :what:

LeapHeap

Yeah well I'm new to this lol so get used to it. Like I said in my introduction.. talk to me like a retard

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The canadian models are different than the usdm models.

Ours come with ketchup and yours come with gravy.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ Hahaha perfect! Pretty much spot on.

You still didn't mention any sort of long term goals for the car. But the Y8 is a great SOHC platform.

Check everything though. Look everywhere you can fit and take pictures to inspect anything you can't! Just be sure of what you're getting.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Any other indications on Hondas I should be careful about?
Just look for basic Honda rot, check under the doors for rust, check where the spare tire is under the carpet. Look on the panels and see if there are VIN stickers, make sure they match. If paint looks off, something may have been replaced, find out why. Look for oil all over. Check underneath for fresh oil on the oil pan, check around the valve cover, etc. Make sure there's no grinding on your gears or pop outs. Take the RPMs up to like 5k and shift, if it grinds a bit going in, your synchros are going to start going soon.

Any of these may not be totally reason to dismiss the car, you can use them as bargain chips for sure.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
They're inside the transmissions and they help match the speeds of internal moving parts, so that s*** doesn't just grind together when shifting. When synchros are starting to fail or have failed, you'll feel and hear some grinding when switching gears. Hearing a little grinding when going into reverse is normal (for a Honda).

Last edited:

Shanec

Maybe change the manual tranny fluid, super easy to do...and may help a bit with that 3rd gear prob. If not, nothing lost....was prob due for a change anyway.