Buying a civic

RauReiter

Hello i'm an EXTREME noob to everything.
In the coming months i'll be on the road and buying my first car YAY!

I LOVE Honda civics, and want to build one PROPERLY
from the ground up. (6th gen preferably)

I worked all summer and i am still working now. I currently have 3500$

I'm curious what civics would be deemed worthy in this price range.

A little help would be GREAT! as i'm a noob to everything including this site.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Don't buy one from a kid or teen.
3,000-4,000 seems like a good price for one in good shape.
Whatever you get, first check for leakage in the trunk. Use a flash light, and look reall good under and behind the carpet in the trunk, looking for rust. Then pop the hood and check the front core support, (where the radiator and condenser are) make sure its not bent, check under the hood for factory stickers, and you should also see stikers on the fenders with the VIN in them. If all that looks good you probably got a solid car that hasn't been crashed. Test drive it and decide if you like it =)

RauReiter

Don't buy one from a kid or teen.
3,000-4,000 seems like a good price for one in good shape.
Whatever you get, first check for leakage in the trunk. Use a flash light, and look reall good under and behind the carpet in the trunk, looking for rust. Then pop the hood and check the front core support, (where the radiator and condenser are) make sure its not bent, check under the hood for factory stickers, and you should also see stikers on the fenders with the VIN in them. If all that looks good you probably got a solid car that hasn't been crashed. Test drive it and decide if you like it =)
Thanks for the advice, it will be very helpful!
i'm going to go look at a bone stock 2000 civic DX Hatch with 109K miles
I got the guy down to 3300. He's in his mid to late twenties an he told me he bought the car to put a k20a in it...
but he says the car was just to good to swap so he posted it for 4000$ He also seemed pretty confident that it was immaculate and for me to come look at it so... i am.

When i do get a civic, what should i start with? as in modding? i plan to do a motor swap, and slightly build up the motor with my dad. but everyone says motor last.

Advice on what motor i should swap, suspension, anything advice helps!

Mern

Come at me bro.
Hey man, i see you're from Halifax. I'm from Barrington (south shore) and i think if anything an SE would be nice, its a purely Canadian model! If you need any advice hit me up on here someday.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if i were you, i would get a 2000 EX civic. try to get it in good shape, no dents, no severe oil leaks (there are easy to repair), check carfax or what ever service you get to check the cars history, and make sure its does not have any emissions issues, was never a rental car, and did not have multiple users, and wreckage. clean savage is prefered.

Trekk

Registered VIP
I would start with making it look good, suspension, wheels, or whatever. Then after that start saving for your swap. To be honest speed/swaps are nice to have, but in the end I'd rather have my car looking nice first.

Then again, my $ .02 might be a little one sided since I own a pretty quick car, besides my Honda