Buying from Dealership vs By Owner

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My girlfriend's truck is officially dead and it's time for us to look for a gently used vehicle. I'm not sure if we should stick exclusively to dealerships, or if it's safe enough to buy from owners? Any input, pros/cons, things to make sure of / look out for, etc would be helpful!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
100% it depends on the dealer. You can get screwed, big time by the wrong type of dealer.

That being said, even the good ones you are going to be paying a bit more (or a lot more) depending on the vehicle unless you know someone on the inside and get a smoking deal. They have overhead and a bunch of other stuff they are making up for that the private seller doesn't have. Dealers mark up vehicles, it's not a secret. Some more than others. Private owners don't, except for these guys that put a bunch of money into a vehicle and think they are going to get that back out when the sell it.

Dealers are good in the fact that they have a LOT of lenders working with them so it is almost impossible to be turned down for a loan if that is the route she is going. Unless her credit is completely garbage, she shouldn't have a problem getting one of their lenders to throw a bone. Hell some will do it no matter what your credit is like.

If you hit a real dealer, most of the big ones inspect their vehicles and put a warranty on them. Not the usually the shady used car lot ones though.

To be honest, I would just stick to the main ones. If she is looking at a Ford, go to Ford....Chevy go to Chevy, etc. The dealers keep the good trade ins and dump the bad ones (or ones that need a bunch of stuff) to the auctions or the local wholesale markets. The small used car lots are the ones that usually buy the crap that the big dealers don't want for various reasons (high mileage, to much work needed to bring it up to their standards, too old, etc).

Eg: We got a trade in here a couple months ago. It was a Cayenne. The first owner beat the s**t out of the thing. It needed all kinds of stuff so we ended up sending it to detail and then dumped it in the local wholesale market through the internet. Just last weekend some young dude brings in that same vehicle that he landed at a used car lot up in the seattle area. It's having cooling issues (one of the things noted on the trade in inspection from when we had it that the used lot didn't care to disclose). That lot had picked it up through our online wholesale site according to the used car manager. It needs a lot of work and the dude is shocked because he bought the thing for cheap and it needs over $10k in work to bring it back to a decent car (tires, brakes, drive line, coolant system needs fixed, nasty leaks from the rear main, valve covers, runs like s**t, Airbag light is on, etc). Like they say, if it's too good to be true....

At least he can act big to his friends and the chicks and say that he owns a Porsche. :lol:

I would say find out what she wants and shop for it, not committing to either or a private seller. Set a price you are willing to spend and stick with it. See what happens. If she finds one she really likes and it checks out through a thorough inspection it doesn't really matter where it was from. If she is happy that is all that matters. Good deals and great cars can be found at either one.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
@lethal6 Thanks!

We've more or less decided on a Honda Fit. Went to two dealerships today. The first one does not haggle at all on prices, and the price was a bit too high. I got thrown out of the second one for calling the "internet manager" a liar. :lol:

I found a site that aggregates out the door prices and tells you what the average out the door price is by zip code. The guy swore he couldn't do any better than $1,000 more than the OTD price I found because he paid more for the car than that. We went back and forth a bit. Eventually I said he was lying about his cost. He stood up and said - "You're calling me a liar? Well, I'm going to take the gloves off and not sugar coat this. Get out!" Then he stormed off and yelled a few more things at me as we were leaving. Needless to say, I'll be filling out some reviews on Coggin Honda in Orlando, FL.

The search continues!

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I bought a 2010 Fit new from a dealer. I went to about 4 Honda dealerships and they after negotiating they all ended up being within about $500 of each other. The thing with a Fit is that since it is one of the less expensive cars and there aren't that many options, there's not as much markup compared to something like a Civic or an Accord. Who knows how accurate those sites really are? I hate new car shopping but if you take the time to shop around you'll get a pretty good idea of what's fair.

ej_swag

Häagen-Dazs
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Eventually I said he was lying about his cost. He stood up and said - "You're calling me a liar? Well, I'm going to take the gloves off and not sugar coat this. Get out!" Then he stormed off and yelled a few more things at me as we were leaving. Needless to say, I'll be filling out some reviews on Coggin Honda in Orlando, FL.

The search continues!
:headbang: Good luck through this process, it can be really frustrating. Dealership and private party buying alike have many pros/cons; pushy salesmen can be really annoying but equally are those private parties trying to hide stuff or overcharge you for what they think it's worth. In the end I agree with Lethal in the sense that you should set a price and go in knowing what you want, and don't stop until you get just that. Looking forward to seeing a fit on the site though hopefully. :thumbs up

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I bought a 2010 Fit new from a dealer. I went to about 4 Honda dealerships and they after negotiating they all ended up being within about $500 of each other. The thing with a Fit is that since it is one of the less expensive cars and there aren't that many options, there's not as much markup compared to something like a Civic or an Accord. Who knows how accurate those sites really are? I hate new car shopping but if you take the time to shop around you'll get a pretty good idea of what's fair.
Yea. I can't verify the legitimacy of those sites, but I'd rather err on the side of caution than get ripped off. If they're wrong, the dealerships won't sell me a car and I'll just come down on my expectations. I'm just glad I learned to avoid that particular dealership.

If you don't mind me asking, what year / trim / transmission is your fit and what did you get it for out the door?

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm (well, my girlfriend is) the proud owner of a brand new Aegean Blue Honda Fit LX Automatic. I'm glad I held out. When I went to the dealerships in person, over the weekend, The lowest they'd go was $19,800 (OTD with a new tag). Ended up getting it for $18,400 at 2.90% with:
-Window tint
-Wheel locks
-Splash guard
-All Season Floor Mats
-Cargo Tray

I'm satisfied. :D

Crappy pic from the salesman's phone:

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Congrats on the pick up!

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like you did well! Mine is a 2010 Fit Sport, manual and it was $17,963 out the door at 0.9%. That was in 2010 though and MSRP goes up, taxes are different, etc.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice! Congrats. Glad it went relatively painless.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks guys. Yea, I kept reading that 18,800 seemed to be the average for the 2015 lx auto with no options, so I was fairly satisfied with 18,4 and the bonuses, especially with no trade in to negotiate with.