Camshaft, pass smog?

civic_anxiety

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i really want to gain more hp without going turbo or supercharger yet, i was just wondering how can i do that. i heard that if u change the camshaft, u can expect to gaint the most hp, just wonder which kind of camshaft will be good and at the same time pass smog, any info will be appreciated

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Enhancing your camshaft does help in increasing Hp and torque , but im not sure about the smog thing...all i know is that it depends on the duration size for the lobes...or somthing like that.

civic_anxiety

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so changing my camshaft is legal, as long as u keep the lobes that has the duration as the stock? thats no good, then it'll be exactly the same. dont u want a lobe thats a little longer for your intake stroke so that it sucks in more air, well i guess that wont pass smog either, huh?

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Of course you would want bigger lobes , but im not saying that you wont pass smog....well it depends on how you set the camshaft.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
also where you set your timing at. tuning is the key in making power with any setup. you even need tuning for suspension so is not just engine.

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah dood, if you get like some skunk2 stage 1's, you'll pass smog and have some good gains, you gets S2 stage 2's, you'll hear a lil ruffer idle and i dunno abut the smog part there, for sure stage 3's your not goig pass smog and besides something that high is too much to maintain for daily driven

civic_anxiety

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks for the help guys, but kind of already know about all those, it was boring so i just made up some topic, haha. sorry about that

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
we all know seanjohn makes up topics for the hell of it...like a post about the WEATHER!!! whore

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah, ill even post a reply for the hell of it

i guess im a [highlight=cyan]Post[/highlight] [glow=violet]Whore[/glow] :?:

UnitZero

First Child
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
if you want to pass smog, just retard your timing by 3-5 degrees, then when your done, advance it back up.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i thought it would be the other way around.

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you get new cam(s), do you need new cam gears too?

UnitZero

First Child
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
retarding the timing would lean out the car a bit si it uses and burns less fuel. More burned air being picked up by sensors than fuel.

But what I think is the stupidest part of a smog inspection is the visual. If I ran the government, I wouldn't care if a turbo is the size of a watermellon, if it comes out clean the other end, no one cares.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you dont necessarily need cam gears. it just nice to have if you're going to tune your car. going NA is all about tuning.