can civics drift?

MANNYBOY23

buy my rims please!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
MasterShake said:
good point. and if it was about age, youre 21 rollin in a pos four door, this 17 yrold is rollin harder than you :???:
so f it if he rollin harder than me do you really think that i give a crap NAH i was just making a point that some kids that age will try anything that they see ina movie cuz were i live kids have died doing stupid crap like that so if he took it the wrong way than thats his fault and not mines i no way said that all dudes in that age are all trying to drift i really meant that some stupid ones are. better

42Steps

Welcome my son....
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This thread makes me all sorts of sad......

The fact is NO FWD car will ever be able to truly drift, nor should it be forced to even try it by any means... It is not what the car is built for and will result in degradation of parts, tires, and your general well being....

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't care what kind of car he's driving or how good he thinks he is at driving, you SHOULD NOT be racing, "drifting" or otherwise playing on public roadways.

I don't care if you get a ticket. I don't care if you go out and plant your car sideways into a wall.

I'm worried about you hurting innocent people. Imagine how you would feel if some dumbass street racer planted his/her car into your Mom's car while she was out picking up some milk.

that VERBAL

AKA Theiven Stealberg
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This definately ranks up there with the worst threads I have ever seen...

Sadly, I think this is just the beginning of the FWD drift threads :(

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I knew of a guy who tried to drift in an 01 civic, completely stock. Took the turn, got the car going sideways, roads were wet, but he hit a dry spot, and the whole wheel buckled, and front passenger side crashed to the ground. Guy was an ass anyways, served him right

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
42Steps said:
This thread makes me all sorts of sad......

The fact is NO FWD car will ever be able to truly drift, nor should it be forced to even try it by any means... It is not what the car is built for and will result in degradation of parts, tires, and your general well being....
Thats not exactly true. You can drift an FF easily, its just a little different. You just have to induce a certain amount of oversteer and hold it.

I've been autocrossing a lot, and the understeer is killing me in a few corners. I'm stiffining up the rear so I can force it to oversteer. I've been reading a book on autoX techniques, and drifting is a common one. But in the real world, drifting right is just a small angle, so small that most people won't even see you do it.

I've been a huge fan of Initial D for years, and I'll admit big balls-out drifts are neat to watch. But they should be saved for Formula D. I'm terrified of whats going to happen to my beloved mountain roads once this movie is out for a while.

As far as the answer to the thread question, if you want to drift, tighten up the rear (sway bar, strut bar, lower tie bar) and use left foot braking in the corner to unsettle it. But don't try that s**t unless you're on the track. There are autocrosses everywhere on any given sunday, they're cheap to enter and safe to try whatever you want. If you want to drift, do it there. And get ready to buy some new tires. If I'm driving up the mountain to my girlfriends house, and you drift out and get me killed, I'm gonna be pissed

Edit: SCCA Autocross Find a region near you, they're probably running this or next weekend

42Steps

Welcome my son....
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TheWingMang said:
Thats not exactly true. You can drift an FF easily, its just a little different. You just have to induce a certain amount of oversteer and hold it.
THAT IS NOT DRIFTING!!!!

It may look the same to the untrained eye, but it is NOT drifting.... Trust me, I've owned 3 RWD cars, and a FWD car... I know the difference....

You are sliding, not drifting....

Edit: Inducing a bit of oversteer and drifting are not the same at all... Inducing some oversteer will save some lap time by helping you get around some of the tighter corners.... On the other hand, drifting is about getting the maximum angle while still keeping the car at a constant speed and under control.... Drifting does NOT save lap time, rather it is just for show.... You can get some high speed drifts, but the recovery from the drifts will not have the same effect as inducing a bit of oversteer.... Few people relize the difference and can easily mix them up....

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
42Steps said:
THAT IS NOT DRIFTING!!!!

It may look the same to the untrained eye, but it is NOT drifting.... Trust me, I've owned 3 RWD cars, and a FWD car... I know the difference....

You are sliding, not drifting....

Ass sliding to be precise.

TempIamgod said:
That's not drifting, that's ass sliding

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oversteer = not drifting.

Controlled Understeer = Drifting

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Though a FWD car can do a "controlled oversteer" it is much more difficult to do than true RWD drifting. It's more dangerous for you to be out there trying to drift in your FWD Honda than for you to probably try to drift in a RWD Nissan for example.

It's just stupid to be out there drifting on public roads anyway, but it's plain retarded to try to do it in your daily driver, particuarlly your FWD daily driver.

soldiaboy

343 FDNY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol @ this thread, your not drifting, your not even sliding, you think your drifting cause your cheap tires are screaming and from the excessive body roll

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes you can drift a civic. Now go do it in a crowded parking lot and take pictures.

It'll be great. I promise.

Fawks

Applesauce b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I do it a lot, but you won't believe me. The LSD helps a lot. You should see the flat spots on my steelies. I do end up off the road a lot though. You should see the scratches on my bumper.

Fawks

Applesauce b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I believe it is Dori Kin Keiichi Tsuchiya who has the really cool civic drift video.

Fawks

Applesauce b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Don't get me wrong though, I still can't wait to build an M3. But I have to buy a house. Damn responsibility.