Can I change Timing Belt, adjust valves with no oil in the engine? stripped oil pan

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okay, I know it sounds strange, but can I change the timing belt with no engine oil in the engine? The reason why I say this is because I drained my oil from the engine (Was going to change it) and my bolt on the oil pan is stripped. I can not tighten it at all... The reason it is stripped is I took it to Jiffy Lube about 6 months ago and I have just dealt with it. I did one turn too many and it finally gave in...

I need to replace the oil pan (will do all future oil changes myself), but currently there is no oil in the engine at all. I want to work on the timing belt (changing it) and adjust valves, but am curious if I should wait until there is engine oil in the engine prior to turning the crankshaft?

What do you guys think? I don't want to grind the engine apart (I'm not running the engine, but turning it with no oil can't be good either). Should I wait till I get the oil pan replaced and fill the engine with oil prior to doing the timing belt?

Also what brand of oil pan do you guys recommend? Obviously OEM is the best one, but is aftermarket stuff just as good? Any recommendations on Oil Pan gasket? or sealant? I want to do the oil pan job right..

b17integraGSR

5+ Year Member
You can go ahead and do change the timing belt and adjust the valves. Theres probly enough oil still on the crank and bearings that it won't hurt anything

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
awesome good to know, I figured since it's going slow that there wouldn't be too much hot friction to cause a problem, but I'm posting here for help so what do I know.:lol:

Thanks guys. I don't want to waste a beautiful day waiting for an oil pan....

Speaking of oil pan, I looked online for brand new and they are freakin' expensive (well, more than I wanted to pay). Can I get a bargain at a junkyard? or is this a waste of timie....? Or Aftermarket at Advanced Auto/Autozone?

Thanks guys.

ryanM

just get one out of a junkyard

your going to have to have them pull it since its a b***h to lift a car up in the yard, but usually thats only an extra 30 bucks or so.

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just get one out of a junkyard

your going to have to have them pull it since its a b***h to lift a car up in the yard, but usually thats only an extra 30 bucks or so.
nice. that's what I was worried about is lifting up the car. The yard I go to, they are just on on loose dirt, so there would be no way I could lift the car up with my jacks.

Yeah, I'll go to a yard, much cheaper. Thank You..

I'm hoping it will cost me under $50 for the pulling and the part. OEM Honda Oil pans on the net go for $165-$200 + shipping

I'm really not so pissed, because my oil pan gasket is leaking anyway. I was going to pull the pan off my car anyway to fix that eventually, so I kill two stones with one bird or something like that. LOL j/k *very corny*

WILL I BE FINE WITH JUST A PEP BOYS/AUTOZONE/ADVANCED AUTO PARTS OIL PAN GASKET? OR SHOULD I FIND SOMETHING BETTER? SEALENT?

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I just called the junkyard. They said it costs $20 for a metal oil pan or $30 for an aluminum. Not sure what the Honda one is. They also said they won't pull it for me (They only help pull big things apparently), but they have hoists that I can use to get under the car... Shouldn't be too bad... Just wanted to give an update.

apekd

-----Distracted you, huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hondas are steel, the only aluminum ones i see on them are after market...so no worries...i dont see why youdont just re-tap it with an over size bolt...thats the cheepest and easiest way to go around doing it.takes little effort, and most hardware stores have them

ryanM

well if they have hoists then your good to go

DRAIN THE OIL BEFORE YOU TAKE THE PAN OFF

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well if they have hoists then your good to go

DRAIN THE OIL BEFORE YOU TAKE THE PAN OFF
^^^^^ :word: lol, they tend to like leaving the oil in the engines...just to piss people off....

SilverEXCoupe

Registered lUser
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hondas are steel, the only aluminum ones i see on them are after market...so no worries...i dont see why youdont just re-tap it with an over size bolt...thats the cheepest and easiest way to go around doing it.takes little effort, and most hardware stores have them
True. I'll keep that in mind if it ever happens to me. Even have some good tap wrenches in the tool box!

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
True. I'll keep that in mind if it ever happens to me. Even have some good tap wrenches in the tool box!
its the whole work smarter not harder thing again...whats the point of throwing money into buying anothe pan? i would do that if it was dented or crack...but just stripped? hell, 4 bucks, a tap, and an oil change, and your done...hell, i even take a torque wrench and tighten it down to 4 ft.lbs....not an air powered..just hand....and to this day, my threads still havent been stripped out....so dont waste the cash on a new one unless yours is majorly f**ked up

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well I hit the jackpot today. I went to the Junkyard looking for odds and ends and looked under a 91 Sedan that was jacked up and noticed the oil pan was gone... I thought someone pulled it, but I looked and it was right on the ground! I examined it and there were no gashes and the bolt wasn't stripped at all. It still have the oil pan gasket on it... Not sure why someone pulled the oil pan and didn't take it :what: maybe there were some engine parts they needed right above the oil pan ??

Well anyway, I got the oil pan and didn't even have to pull it!:D There were no oil pan bolts so whoever pulled the oil pan did it for those and/or something else apparently... I guess I could just use my bolts to mount the oil pan back up.. No big deal...

I keep looking at the oil pan trying to figure out why they pulled it and left it in the yard, looks good.... Must have been after something else...

I'll install this once I get a new gasket in the mail from Honda : )

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Guys,

well I'm going to put in my oil pan since my car will be parked a few days... I have an OEM Honda Oil Pan Gasket and and OEM Honda Oil Pan from the junkyard....

I also have a torque wrench and a Helm's manual...

My question is: Do I need a sealant as well? I googled and hear about something called Honda Bond? or something like that...

Just want to get all the stuff I'll need... I'm glad my car is parked cause now it forces me to do some much needed maintenance....