Can't remove steering rack

hdog1999

1999 Civic 4dr ex

So I've removed all the lines and the outer tie rods. I can't for the life of me get the rack to drop. Either the opening is too small and the spline on the pinion is stuck or the inner tie rod just doesn't bend enough to get the angle past the subframe.

The steering rack as been replace before at a shop my dad goes to but their past work has left me disappointed in their quality. Is the rack out spec? Should I also remove the inner tie rods.
The Service manual just says remove the tie rod ends. I watched Eric the CarGuys video and his seemed to drop without too much incident.

hdog1999

On pgs 17-47 to 17-48, the 96-00 Civic service manual describes the entire process in detail, which involves much more than removing the tie rod ends.
No kidding. I've removed the stiffener plate, the feed line, etc. For whatever reason, I just can't get enough clearance because the subframe prevents me dropping the gearbox completely out to clear the driver side end and angle it out. Yes I pushed the tie rod all the way in, and shifted the rack all the way to the right. It just won't clear.