car drove fine tuesday, refuses to start thursday (doesn't quite crank)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So I drove my car with zero issues on Tuesday. It started up fine, drove fine, turned off then started back up fine, etc. Then it sat Tuesday afternoon/night, all day Wednesday, and I went to start it this morning to go to work and it started for half a second then died before I could even turn the key back. I tried again and the car would ALMOST crank, not quite all the way, and just try over and over.

At first I thought the motor was hydrolocked with coolant because it's been having overheating issues for a while and there's a constant stream of bubbles at the radiator cap when I burp the system. I pulled the fuel pump fuse and the spark plugs, gave it a few good cranks, and nothing came out. Good news is that all 4 of the spark plugs were overwhelmed with fuel, so the engine is getting fuel. I put the plugs/wires back in after the plugs dried off and it did the same thing it did this morning. Started for half a second then died, and wouldn't start back up afterwards. Again, it's ALMOST to the point of cranking but not quite.

Unfortunately I don't have a spark plug tester and don't feel like resting a spark plug on the valve cover to see if it sparks that way, so I'm gonna go buy one lol. Any input while I'm away would be appreciated if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First, we need to know what year & trim civic you have. Its kind of needed.

Secondly, when was the last time the cooling system was flushed and the hoses & thermostat were changed? Do you have frothing in the oil or oil in the coolant?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I forgot the basic details lol. 99 ex with 246k miles.

I replaced the dizzy cap/rotor and plugs/wires 23k miles ago. The thermostat was replaced 3 weeks ago. As far as I can tell, oil/coolant haven't begun to mix yet. Oil filler cap doesn't show any signs of creamyness and the radiator cap doesn't either. Same with the dipstick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

dancam

Registered VIP
Did you bleed the coolant after changing the thermostat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Did you bleed the coolant after changing the thermostat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. The coolant has been bled multiple times over the last 3 months because of my overheating issue. There was a small hole that I patched but it seems that it's still leaking somehow (which I think is through the headgasket at this point).

Each time I fill the radiator, I completely burp the system.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
the dieing part is cause your alternator is bad, and the slow or nearly to a point where i can barely crank is cause you don't have enough power in your battery. also there are hoses back there by where the head and the block meets you should check these hoses. so you have 3 separate issue its not always just one thing...

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you flush only the radiator or the block as well? Did you originally, and since then, fill with 50/50 mix coolant? Again, did you replace the hoses? Please elaborate on where & how you patched a small hole coolant leak.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
i've had plenty of of bad headgaskets before it once you get it started it will stay on regardless of the leak

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the dieing part is cause your alternator is bad, and the slow or nearly to a point where i can barely crank is cause you don't have enough power in your battery. also there are hoses back there by where the head and the block meets you should check these hoses. so you have 3 separate issue its not always just one thing...
My friend is thinking the same thing. He said his prelude had a similiar issue before. There was enough juice to get the car started but it ran like dog s**t because it was old and wasn't holding much of a charge. I'll have to get a hold of some jumper cables to see if my car can be jump started at the very least. My battery is pretty old...5 years at the very least. I'm crossing my fingers on it being the problem.

Did you flush only the radiator or the block as well? Did you originally, and since then, fill with 50/50 mix coolant? Again, did you replace the hoses? Please elaborate on where & how you patched a small hole coolant leak.
The radiator has been deliberately flushed once back when I replaced the timing belt and such at 200k. Because of the coolant leak, the radiator flushes itself over a period of time, so I just refill and bleed the system, each time with 50/50. No hoses have been replaced but I've checked what I can see and they appear to be in good condition (aka no leaks). There was a small hole in a metal coolant line that I patched with JB weld 2 weeks ago lol. I've since checked it multiple times and it's holding up.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
My friend is thinking the same thing. He said his prelude had a similiar issue before. There was enough juice to get the car started but it ran like dog s**t because it was old and wasn't holding much of a charge. I'll have to get a hold of some jumper cables to see if my car can be jump started at the very least. My battery is pretty old...5 years at the very least. I'm crossing my fingers on it being the problem.

The radiator has been deliberately flushed once back when I replaced the timing belt and such at 200k. Because of the coolant leak, the radiator flushes itself over a period of time, so I just refill and bleed the system, each time with 50/50. No hoses have been replaced but I've checked what I can see and they appear to be in good condition (aka no leaks). There was a small hole in a metal coolant line that I patched with JB weld 2 weeks ago lol. I've since checked it multiple times and it's holding up.
it ran like that because the whole car was running off the battery. thats what killed most of its juice

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I also agree that the starting issue is likely the alternator.

As for the coolant flush,please answer if if was the entire system or just the radiator as I have no clue clue why you said deliberately since I doubt it was accidental.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I also agree that the starting issue is likely the alternator.

As for the coolant flush,please answer if if was the entire system or just the radiator as I have no clue clue why you said deliberately since I doubt it was accidental.
Not sure how much more clear I can make it... Block, no. Radiator, yes.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not sure how much more clear I can make it... Block, no. Radiator, yes.
Now that is clear. Flush the block. You.may be mixing in old fluid constantly along with possible added air pockets trapped in there from old condensation evaporating.